Existing Member?

Stephanie's Adventures

Cortona, Italy: Part 3

ITALY | Tuesday, 6 December 2011 | Views [277]

Monday 11/28 930am Cortona, Italy
     
     I've had cooked cabbage for 3 days straight, and lets just say, I've been hungry for 3 days straight. It isn't that it is just cooked cabbage, Vasco is really 'chef-ing' it up, it's just, I've found out, I don't like cooked cabbage regardless of how it's cooked. It all started one night when they had a dinner party... one of the men attending brought this GIANT cabbage over to give to Vasco and Michaela, and since then, we've had cabbage with everything. That, and mushrooms they found in the forest (but don't worry, they are good and not poisonous). Breakfast is my only safe meal.
     About the dinner party though... there was a dinner party about 3 or 4 nights ago and it was unlike any dinner I had at the farm in Sora. There were 8 of us, and first of all, I was invited into the house (which I am all the time) to sit and read or use my computer for about 2 hours before dinner even started... something that never happened at the farm. I didn't have to pretend to help, like I did at the farm, I just got to sit and do nothing. Vasco's friend came over and cooked, and even though he only spoke italian, him and his wife loved me. At dinner we had pasta with lobster, then giant shrimp (everyone here calls them prawns lol), and then cooked cabbage (but we won't focus on that). While Michaela told them all in italian about my unfortunate  last volunteer place, the guy cooking kept giving me more and more shrimp. Not only was there a ton of food (my thanksgiving), but there were 4 different kinds of wine and even amaretto grappa that one man had brought over (the same man that brought the giant cabbage). I had some honey wine, which is my favorite, and the red barrel wine, which is a close second. But don't worry, I tried all the wine to make sure it was good.... it was. After dinner and a little waiting, both of the ladies who came brought out their desserts and then everyone, regardless of if they wanted to, had to have a piece of both. I was fine with this, especially since I was eyeing the giant cabbage sitting on the floor and I seemed to know what it would have in store for me. After dessert, we were all sitting around and the ladies looked at me and asked if I wanted more and which one. Well, I freaked out because that was a loaded question... "Whose did you like better?!?!"... So, I ended up with another plate of both desserts. I'm not complaining though, because it was the first time in a long time that everyone at the dinner table liked me. They even felt bad enough that they are now planning another dinner while I'm here. 
     Yesterday was a little different too because I was left to my own devices. Michaela and Vasco took the day off and told me that my only jobs were to clean bridles, shell beans, and watch the doggies and take them on a walk or two. Easiest day ever. I took the doggies on two walks, and Jovie found several sticks and a tomato which he carried around the entire day. It was fun because I kept asking him to go find his tomato. 
     And now today is my day off... another luxury. I think I'm going to Cortona to look around, but it's 945am and it's still foggy... alf my plan to get to Cortona involved climbing to the hill by their house and looking for the best route. Maybe I'll just hitch a ride.

About stptaylor10


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.