Existing Member?

myfooteprints adventures on the road

poised

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 21 July 2009 | Views [484]

a tiger in waiting.  still, but for a slow and steady sway of its tail.  a flick of an ear.  the motions.  but the this tiger lays poised on the verge of action.  ready to pounce.  ready to throw off it's lethargy in search of a glorious feast.  its stomach speaks up to harmonize the growl of its anticipation.  and yet it waits...


i will be leaving for europe in 10 short days.  they keep ticking off like the second hand of a well oiled clock.  steady and sure.  it seems like only a few days ago that i said goodbye to my friend josh.  yet it's been over four weeks.  i imagine my two months away will fly as quickly.  but they will be two glorious months.


i will fly into munich, germany on august 1st.  from there, make my way by rail to vienna, austria, where i'll meet up with my friend -a local- nino.  we will hang around the city and possibly do some climbing as well.  a few days of the historic birthplace of mozart and we will make the trip to salzburg to meet joa and his girlfriend, uschi.  i am as excited to meet my old friends as i am to get my dirty paws onto european limestone.  well... old friends may be a misnomer.  i have only known them since i met them in thailand on ton sai last summer.  and that was only for six weeks.  yet the bonds that can be shaped when like minded people climb together are something that makes them feel like old friends.  close friends at the very least.  i look forward to getting to know them better.  they put the invite out during that time in thailand and i promised them i would take them up on it.  don't make hospitable offers to me lightly.


from austria, we will drive to neighbouring zurich, switzerland to meet roland, another of the ton sai family.  then on to two crags in italy; arco and finale.  aterwards, france; cuese and chateauvert.  finally spain; siurana, rodeller and margalef.

i have my tick lists printed off and my pack list in order.  a few more errands to take care of while i'm here in sokcho and i'm out for a solid eight weeks.  like a kid on chritsmas eve, i'm trying hard to distance myself from the reality of my impending departure.  i'm still enjoying my time here.  the weather has been slightly more agreeable and i have good friends here who i enjoy spending time with.  on sunday i went for a long overdue trek in the mountains of seoraksan.  my beloved bakyard.  it was a sweaty, exhausting 7 hour hike, but it left me feeling refreshed and happy about my fitness.  climbing this morning as well as a dip in the sea (a frequent morning ritual) and more of the same tomorrow. the life, she is not so shit.

About stonesamurai


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.