Existing Member?

myfooteprints adventures on the road

only in newfoundland

CANADA | Sunday, 20 July 2008 | Views [388]

my forearms are feeling a burn after pulling through the crux three bolt direct start to seascape.  i'm fanagling a piece of metal into the rock to protect the next bit of climbing when i hear a loud crash in the water behind me. 

the flatrock crag, being right on the atlantic coastline, is a great place for whale watching.  i have seen pods of whales feeding just meters off shore every day since i've been back here climbing. 

i lean back causually from the rock and look over my shoulder to a patch of white wash.  i gather that a whale just slammed his tale on the surface, something i've seen them do many times over the past few days.  i see it breach again and blow a fine mist into the air.  i can't tell if it is one of the many minkes that swim up and down the coast, or if it is a rarer, and much larger, humpback.  i smile to myself at my good fortune to be able to enjoy such a beautiful setting while partaking in one of my favourite passtimes.  besides joe, my belayer, there is no one else around.  and even joe is out of viewing range.  just as i'm about to get back to climbing, the whale comes up again, this time in a giant gymnastic arc that has it spinning in the air before crashing down on its back.  a massive cannonball wave accompanies the loud splash.  a big splash.  a sound you would only expect to hear in a big action movie while at the cinema.  probably something with bruce willis in it. 

as the water settles an the whale swims off, i smile again.  of all the climbing destinations i've travelled to, this is the only place i've been graced with such a show.  only in newfoundland...

About stonesamurai


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.