Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Zhanjiang

CHINA | Saturday, 18 November 2006 | Views [643] | Comments [1]

Ever seen Kung Fu Hustle? How some people seemed to have it all, yet some were struggling just to make it? That's Zhanjiang today. China is such a bustling, dynamic place!

It's really exciting from a business point of view, but troubling in a way, since many people are being left behind, and the environmental costs of progress are staggering. But it was this way when the US was coming of age as an industrial nation. Why should anyone else be held to a different standard?

Tags: Port Visit

Comments

1

Indeed, the truth. I've been to Zhanjiang numerous times. My wife, in fact, is from there. She was part of the better off element of the area. That class is fortunate enough to take advantage of the modern luxuries that China offers it's educated population. There is a lot of poverty in Zhanjiang, however. That includes transient workers from all over China. Especially Hunan. The area is booming with the benefits of a strong economy and the oil, fishing, and agricultural export business in the area. Not all can taste the fruits of the new China.

  Ed Miller May 27, 2008 9:36 AM

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.