Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Sailing to the Gulf

SINGAPORE | Monday, 30 August 2004 | Views [476]

Our two-week voyage to the Gulf was marked with its own highlights, even though we didn't make any stops along the way. Some of the most notable:

Twin Typhoons!
Unable to delay our departure on account of the weather, our ship was almost immediately beset by typhoons on either side after leaving Sasebo. The waves were monstrous, and threatened to capsize our ship. They nearly succeeded! We did a 41 degree list at one point. Not good! As you can imagine, none of this was good for those prone to seasickness. The whole place stank.

The Straits of Malacca
Heading south, we traveled westward past Singapore through the Straits of Malacca, 24 hours of navigating one of the busiest waterways in the world. Oh, and did I mention it is infested with pirates? Definitely had to be on the lookout.

Luminescent seas
Crossing the Indian Ocean, at night we were treated to a spectacle of light from above and below. Far away from land, luminescent algae gave the entire ocean a swirling green glow, and the starry night was unlike anything I had ever seen. I could hardly believe that you could actually SEE that many stars.

It is a shame that our cities are shrouded in smog and light pollution. In many cities nowadays, you can't even see the stars at night - only a dark brown wash of a sky. Many kids will grow old not even knowing what the sky is SUPPOSED to look like. Modern man has managed to deny himself of one of life's most basic experiences.

Tags: Sights At Sea

 

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.