Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Seychelles - A Tranquil Paradise

SEYCHELLES | Monday, 8 November 2004 | Views [7863] | Comments [3]

The Seychelles are an island group in the Indian Ocean 1000 miles east of Kenya. Maje island is the biggest, and is the island that I visited on this trip. The Seychelles are truly an island paradise! Here, it's all about the layback island life.

The Seychelles is a great place for couples, but not necessarily for singles. Don't expect to find much of a party scene here. As for me, I was having a great time, just going to the beach, and eating the local food everyday. The beach is AWESOME! If there isn't much to do, it's because you really don't NEED anything else to do if you're at the beach here. Just chill and relax. That's what the Seychelles is all about.

While there is little to do on the islands besides going to the beach and scuba diving, there are 3 nightclubs on the main island of Mahé: Katiolo, 369, and The Barrel (high-class, mid-class, ghetto style). Might I add that the Seychelles is blessed with a surplus of beautiful women :-) Creole, European, South Asian, and African heritage looks very nice indeed. However, you can't approach them on the street, even to ask for directions! Local laws might perceive your innocent request as a solicitation for prostitution. Save your "rico suave" moves for the hotel bar or a club.

Besides the above paranoia, the Seychelles does have one major problem, which I can sum up in a single sentence: "I give you dollars, you give me Monopoly money."

The foreign exchange system here is rigged to keep hard currency in the country. Foreigners, by law, must pay for most items in hard currency ($, €), only to receive Seychelles rupees as change, which almost no one (either on the island, or anywhere else in the world) wants to exchange. That one fact alone, in my opinion, explains the apparent lack of foreign investment. If I can't take my money out after I bring it in, why would I invest here?

What the Seychelles ought to do is adopt either the dollar or euro as the official currency. This would eliminate the need to hoard hard currency, since the Seychellois would already have one. Allowing free movement of money would then create the right conditions for foreign investment. They could even take a page from Bermuda and set up offshore banking.

That would also mean giving up the ability to print worthless Monopoly money, which is probably why the Seychelles government will never do it. C'mon, everybody loves bad investments! Here, let me give you some more Monopoly money.

From a culinary perspective, the food is great, so long as you're not hungry upon arrival to Seychelles. There aren't many restaurants in Victoria, the main town (also Seychelle's capital). The only big restaurant in Victoria, Pirates Arms, is overpriced, and nothing special. When I asked a taxi driver what restaurants do locals go to, he replied "we cook our own food!" I did end up finding some more restaurants around town, and near the hotels in Beau Vallon, the main beach on the other side of Mahe island. The hotels have their own restaurants, too, which may help explain the shortage of restaurants out in town.

While I did spot a few takeaway places that cater to locals, it appears that restaurant dining is too expensive for locals. Heck, it's expensive for tourists! I paid $20 US at Boat House Restaurant for a great Creole buffet, but that's about the same price you'd expect to pay in the States. That might explain why the taxi driver reacted in a defensive way.

By the way, the above-mentioned Boat House restaurant was DELICIOUS! I went back 3 nights in a row just to get my fill of spicy goodness before I had to go back to food on the ship! If I could live near Beau Vallon beach, scuba dive and swim all day, and eat at the Boat House buffet, I think that would be it for me. Besides, Monopoly money isn't so bad if you never want to leave! The Seychelles is so beautiful, you might as well stay.

Tags: Port Visit

 

Comments

1

Thank you for all that good information. Where in your opinion could I go for the new year´s eve dinner with my friends? We are going to be there during Chritsmas hollydays.

  Carmen perez Nov 22, 2007 5:11 AM

2

The above article, although right in many respects, is also wrong in many others. Both at the time of writing and also due to changes over the past five years.

Firstly Katiolo, 369, and Barrel, while all being nightclubs are were not the only nightclubs at the time, or now. There were then and now many more nightclubs on Mahe, with the best three being the above named Katiolo, Lovenut (in Victoria), and Tequila Boom (Belombre).

The nightlife is quite good on a weekend with all nightclubs operating until the early hours, and all three mentioned are very popular.

As to the comment on the local women being unnaproachable on the street. This is completely false. I have found all the locals to be more than willing to chat, especially local women, whom are very flirtatious, so feel free to use you "rico suave" moves. But if you bring a girlfriend with you, be warned, the local men are not worried at telling her how sexy she is infront of her man. The locals are more than happy to help a lost tourist. Local laws will not percieve your innocent request as solicitation, without proof, just the same as most countries. In fact there are no laws regarding street prostitution in the Seychelles for the moment. Single tourists are quite likely to find themselves approached in nightclubs here also..unless tourists are Indian. A large problem exists here with indian culture thus many local are turned of by Indians way of life and social attitudes.

One exception to this is navy ships docking in the seychelles. Most local women with the exception of the 'freer' women, do not enjoy being approached by them, since it is quite obvious want the sailors want in the end.

The problem of monopoly money has now been addressed last year, with no blackmarket anymore. Also in 2004 foreigners were able to take their foreign exchange that had been changed into Seychelles rupees out again, as long as a receipt from a bank showing exchange had been provided.

The Boathouse I believe is still the best restaurant for creole dining with a tourist still having to pay 400scr for dinner. Until last year tourists had to pay in foreign exchange at all restaurants, this is now not the case. Many locals can afford the restaurants, however the majority of all restaurants and tourist faciliities are set up for european tourists thus escape the range of local incomes, and many other countries. Be prepared to pay big.

The best restaurants in Mahe for price are Sam's pizza, Marie Antoinette, Boabab pizzeria, Boathouse, and Pirates.

Regarding takeaway places, there are many many local takeaway shops catering to locals, and good priced meals can be had here. There is also a local market with many creole dishes every wednesday night at Beau Vallon beach, well worth a look.

Hopefully these adjustments have come in handy.

  James Jul 6, 2009 7:33 PM

3

Seychelles still tricky then. Aint noThailand or Bali thats for sure!

  Keith Armytage Jan 22, 2012 6:11 AM

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Seychelles

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.