Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Stock Market Nomad - an idea is born!

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [1377] | Comments [1]

So who is "Stock Market Nomad?"

My name is Ali Booth, and I came up with the idea of "Stock Market Nomad" after some recent experience trading stocks online. I've always wanted to travel the world, but such a trip seemed financially out of reach...

After trading stocks online for some time, I realized that, with some good timing and careful stock selection, one can often make a trade that results in a 3 to 5 percent gain over the course of a few days. Now, let's say that one had invested $20,000. 3 to 5 percent of that would be $600 to $1000. Then the idea hit me - in many parts of the world, that's enough money to last at least a few weeks as a backpacker! I could literally finance a backpacking trip by trading stocks online from Internet cafes along the way.

The actual stock trading wouldn't take very long either - a few hours to select stocks to keep an eye on, and if the timing is right, another couple of hours to set up trades with an online broker. After that, I could travel around, see the sights, and check daily email updates to see how I did. If things go well, I might already have the cash to finance a future part of the journey!

So that's the idea. There's still a lot between now and then that I need to do to make it a reality! Until then, I'll keep you posted as I plan my trip, study up on stock trading techniques, and tell you about some of the places I've already been during my adventures with the US Navy.

Tags: The Planning Phase

 

Comments

1

Excellent idea! I can't wait to see how it all turns out - both the good and bad moments!

I met an English girl whilst I was travelling who had successfully financed 6 months in India by trading the local arty-cultural stuff on eBay. She'd devote one to two full days each week to upload new auctions and sort out postage etc... cleverly she took photos of the goods in the local markets, but only purchased them once someone had actually won the auction so there was no need to store all the stuff she was selling. She said it was a great way to just 'keep ticking along' on a long trip, but was happy to free herself from proximity to a computer after 6 months.
Anyway... wish you the best of luck with this!

  crustyadventures Aug 6, 2007 9:27 AM

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.