Existing Member?

Viva Italia 2013

San Larenzo Market and Santa Croce February 28, 2013

ITALY | Thursday, 28 February 2013 | Views [164]

Today was a true adventure for me.  I returned to Firenze.  The reason: to buy the satchel backpack purse. Seriously? Seriously! The same one I chose not to purchase on February 15th.  So I arrived at the termini in plenty of time to board the fast train to Firenze. I found my train but not my assigned seat. This is strange. After confirming the train with many passengers, a very nice Italian man said that I was not on the fast train. He said that is clear on the side of the station and I must hurry.  Hurry I did and found my seat just in time.....whew.

The ride was beautiful. As soon as I arrived in Florence I went directly to the market in San Lorenzo Plaza. Fortunately is was still there. Ahhhh yes, sweet success.  I also returned to the booth where I purchased the other bag to show him how it was coming apart.  He said because it was too heavy. I told him that is how it was when I purchased it and did not notice it at the time. And he said that, of course, he would stand by purse and exchange it.

I also stopped at shop to check on the coat I ordered.  Of course Armani was not there. Another clerk told me that it will take longer because of the brown trim. Huh? Now what? Wait and see I guess.

Now 4 hours left to explore Florence. First stop was Santa Croce. This is where Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Dante, and Galileo are all buried.  It is amazing. There are also several monuments with bodies carved into marble and laid onto the floor. (I discovered later that this is not unusual and serveral churches have this in Roma as well).  As I was wandering around the church I discovered a leather workshop for apprentices. It was very impressive to see how focussed the apprentices were on learning their craft, something that has been passed down for hundreds of years.

Made a quick stop at McDonald's for burgers and boarded the fast train (the correct one) home-Hotel Vittoria.  I am so happy I made this adventure and I LOVVVVE my soft leather satchel backpack purse.

Walked back from the train station. Spent the evening packing, repacking, and packing again. I'll never get everything back. Helicopters were buzzing about everywhere....Il Pappa left Roma today and John Kerry was arriving.  Such an eventful time. 

Very, very tired but sooooo happy I took this risk and adventure today. Definetly a day I won't soon forget.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About stix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.