Existing Member?

Viva Italia 2013

Mama Mia Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ITALY | Tuesday, 19 February 2013 | Views [155]

Of, course another night of fitful sleeping, because lots of connections to make again. However, I awakened early to go out on an added adventure.  Last night, while reading up on where I was yesterday, I ran across a suggestion to visit the fresh fish market.  This market has been operating for hundreds of years in the same way. I found my way to Per Riglotto and there was the market. The fish were absolutely beautiful. A sight to behold. I just walked around and admired the each of the stands. Of course there were lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Not sure who buys it all.

After a huge breakfast and last minute purchases, I headed back to the water bus to the tain stazione.  Challenge-the superfast train arrived late and I just made the train to La Spezia. Unfortunately, I neglected to get my ticket validated because I was agraid I would miss my connection.  Unforutnately, on the next-to-last stop the train conductor checked my ticket and found out it wasn't validated. Besides a fine of 5Euro he blew his whistle. Oh my.....

Next challenge-purchasing ticket and boarding the right train.  Fortunately, the nicest man took me under the trains to get to my right station. Ahhhh. I got on train to La Spezia about 4:30 pm and arrived at Riomeggiori about 4:40. When I got off the train I saw the most spectacular view of the sea. It was like stepping into a movie. I asked a lady where to get a taxi and she looked at me funny and said none available now.  I showed her the address of my hotel and she said that it was a short way up the street.

There were very few people around. Anyway I saw the sign of Appartementi Edi on a sign above a door. Inside was a clerk waiting for me, must be Edi. So she led me down the street, through the tunnel and down to the water. We climbed and climbed up the stairs of a building. I felt bad because Edi seemed to have difficulty walking. Anyway we arrived at my apartment and she showed be around the bedroom and then up more steps to my kitchen. OMG the view is spectabulous. Mama mia, I have died and gone to heaven. I just can't believe how gorgeous the view is.  I look out over the sea and across from my apartment are beautifully colored buildings (apartments and homes, I'm certain) which are built into the side of the mountain.

This surpasses any expectations I had about Cinque Terra.  Seeing that everything was fairly shut down, I thought it was best to go back to little grocery and fix my own dinner. What did I fix.....well, of course, I had pasta with pesto made right there in Riomaggiore.

Going to sleep with the sound of the waves. I am in heaven.

 

About stix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.