Existing Member?

My Journey

Leaving Sardinia

ITALY | Thursday, 15 July 2010 | Views [585]

7-15-10 

(Since there is no Internet connection these are back dated and will post when I get a connection)

Today is the day we are leaving Sardina. I’m sad to go- but also a bit relived because I thought I was never getting out of this place. I didn’t sleep much last night because of the heat and wonder how am I going to survive India? This is all a test to get me ready for that. I talked to my cousin Joe who lives in Germany and want to visit him in the near future since I haven’t seen him in about 9 years. At the same time I can see Germany as well. We said our goodbyes to my Aunt and cousins. My cousin Anna takes us to an old friend of my dads that I guess used to be the captain of the yacht that my dad worked on as the chef when he was in his glory days in Ponza. I guess rich people would charter a yacht with crew and go to all kind of exotic places. My dad got to travel all over the world working on these yachts.

 

We arrive to his place near the port and I’m in love with the house and property. It’s an eco friendly dwelling with passive solar lighting, solar heated water tank and solar panels for electricity on the roof. Also he has an amazing garden that is all organic. I’m told to stay away from the cute dog because he has a tendency to snap. The cat likes me right away and follows me around most of the time i'm there. His wife fixes us all some food, fresh tomatoes (the first of their crop) fresh mozzarella, fresh arugula from the garden, some cucumbers, local red wine- local cheeses and some other stuff I cant recall. I was in ecstasy eating all the fresh tasting veggies all from their garden. I’m still smiling now as I write this from how fresh everything tasted. It’s been a while since I had food that tasted the way it was intended from the earth.

 

We get a ride to the sea port to board our boat that will take us to the mainland. Of course I wanted to fly and take the 45 min flight but since my dads first love will always be boats, we are taking the 9 hour ride throughout the night and should arrive at 7am. Sitting in this bed in our cabin with air conditioning feels great and sure I’m going to get a good nights sleep (finally). The P.A. keeps paging some guy to go to the main desk and says we are leaving port soon (in Italian of course). I keep thinking they are going to call our cabin or someone is going to rush in because I accidently hit an emergency do not push button the first 5 minutes of me being in the room. I can’t help it- I was pushing everything looking for the light switch. It’s been about 30 minutes since then and no one could care less.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day of travel with dad and I need all the rest I can get.

 

We are taking a shuttle from the port to the train station. Then a train to Formia, a taxi from out taxi friend Gian Carrlo to the port, taking a speed boat to the island where we will be greeted by family and driven up the windy roads to our destination. It’s always exciting when the boat approaches Ponza because the port is one of the most beautiful ports I’ve ever seen.

About stimms78

Not a bad place to do some writing

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.