Existing Member?

Steveandruthstravels

Grand Teton National Park

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 6 October 2015 | Views [224]

 

So, breakfast at 8! At least this meant we got going a little earlier than usual. Our host, Natalia, a Russian emigre, produced a lovely breakfast and stayed to chat with us and the other guests, a very pleasant start to the day. The sun was shining when we woke but mist had drifted in, and it was only 39F/4C.

We set off to the Park. The road we were staying on lead to a side entrance to the Park, but on closer inspection of the map, after we drove it reap eagled it was unpaved and for summer use only. It was rough, huge potholes scattered across the road for three miles, it was slow going. But, it was through beautiful scenery, mostly light forest and crossing a few small streams. We came upon the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve and decided to walk one of the trails. It was still cool, only some 47F! So we wrapped up in layers, given the forecast.

At the start of the trail was a right yellow notice - Be Bear Aware, this was bear country and right now the bears were feeding up for their winter hibernation. There were instructions on what to do if approached/attacked. This added a certain frisson to the walk! Fortunately, we met up with a German couple who agreed to walk with us, the lady was quite nervous about the threat of the bears, there is safety in numbers, where bears are concerned.

The walk was great, through pine forests, with the lovely scent, across streams and up to Phelps Lake, in a beautiful setting beneath the mountains. There was a picnic spot just there and even though we weren't eating we were pestered by chipmunks who clearly had been fed by previous visitors. The walk back was an easy stroll down and back to the car park, everyone seemed a bit more relaxed about the bears though we still kept a eye out for them.

We drove on into the Park, stopping at several of the pullouts for photographs of the mountains and glaciers before reaching a side road to Signal Mountain, a 7,720 foot high mountain in the middle of the valley (the rise from the valley is only 800feet). The summit offered a great view north to Yellowstone. Back down the hill and onto Jackson Lake, originally a glacially morained lake, now increased in size by a dam, for more photographs and some lunch. The Grand Teton is 13,770feet/4,197m.

At this point we decided to head back and pick up some of the places we'd missed, so we headed south again. The promised temperature of 70F wasn't achieved but according to the car it did hit 67, but anyway it was a gloriously sunny day, just a few clouds at the tops of the mountains. We stopped again at some of the pullouts for yet more photographs and to see if we could spot any animals - we were looking for moose and bear. None seen.

We took the road to Jenny Lake, named after the wife of one of the early settlers. It sits right under the mountains and offered wonderful views of Mount Moran and Mount St. John and Cascade Canyon between them. On down the road, still keeping an eye out for animals, but no luck yet. We rejoined the Moose-Wilson Road and a little way along noticed people at the side of the road taking photographs - a moose! A bit far away, but it was still a moose.

We survived the next three miles of potholes and made it back to the Inn for a little rest. Off to dinner, only a couple of hundred yards we came upon a brew house, the Roadhouse Brewing Co, well, we thought, why not. It was a delight, the people were very friendly and the local beer was good. We had locally caught steelhead trout for dinner with some of their beer. Excellent meal. Ruth tried the Wyoming Whiskey, but it came on the rocks, which I didn't fancy, though I did try a sip of Ruth's!

 

 

 

About steveturpin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.