Existing Member?

Steveandruthstravels

Salt Lake City to Grand Teton NP

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 6 October 2015 | Views [196]

Dog barking! - for a long time so we were awake! Breakfast at the B&B was served, home made waffles with strawberries and maple syrup, delicious, but as we found out later,not very filling. Never mind.

On the road, fuel up and headed east, joined the I80, the Lincoln Highway, up through the Wasatch Range and over Parley's Summit at 7,120 feet and then down the other side! We crossed into Wyoming and to Evanston where we spotted Boot Barn, a western outfitters. Kaylee, the shop assistant was delightful and very helpful, so I bought a pair of boots and a really nice belt and a tasseled shirt for Ruth. Quite an experience.

We rejoined Route 89 and headed off to Bear Lake. This part of the route followed the old Oregon Trail (to California). We were definitely in farming country, mostly beef grazing, and it was good to see green fields after all the desert we'd been through. Bear Lake was pretty and we stopped for our sandwich lunch again picnic spot overlooking the lake. It was cool and the wind, although gentle, encouraged us to eat quickly and get back in the car.

We passed through many holiday resorts, condos etc, none of them very pretty but soon hit the farming area again, small farms and houses scattered along the highway. Lots of references to first and early settlers on historical markers along the road and some with particular reference to Brigham Young - he certainly got around!

Whilst we left Utah just before Evanston, we dropped back into Utah for Bear Lake but halfway along the lake we entered Idaho and before long we were in Paris, Idaho! The county seat, it had a courthouse, a large church (of the Latter Day Saints) that seated 2,000, and several other quite impressive buildings, though only a population of 513. All this in the middle of ranching country.

On down the road to Montpelier, the home of the National Museum of the Oregon Trail, but being a Sunday, it was closed. After Montpelier we crossed back into Wyoming, wide valleys of very poor pasture and little townships. On of these was Afton which boasted an arch across the highway made of elk antlers; all the original owners of these antlers had been shot. We did stop at a drive-thru liquor store, that is t okay we actually parked as we wanted to look at what they had. Ruth found a bottle of bourbon called Evans Williams, so we had to buy it. It was only $12 so it wasn't looking good.

On through more small settlements on the Wyoming Range until we reached the Bridger-Teton National Forest and the Snake River Canyon which took us to Jackson, the main town of the Tetons. We were destined for the Sassy Moose Inn, just beyond which we found and settled in. The front door was open, no-one was around, except another guest, but there was a welcome note on the porch, so we jus unloaded into our room and relaxed.

Out to dinner at the Spur Restaurant at the Teton Mountain Lodge. A very smart Lodge and the food was excellent, Ruth had buffalo short ribs and I had the buffalo sirloin, both delicious. We came back and cracked open the Evans Williams Bourbon; it was ok.

About steveturpin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.