Existing Member?

Travel Stories of Steve Goodyear

Celebrating New Year's Eve climbing to the crown in the Statue of Liberty

USA | Friday, 31 December 2010 | Views [436]

One major agenda item for me on this trip to New York was to climb up to the crown in the Statue of Liberty. I have been to Liberty Island before, but haven’t been up in Lady Liberty before, so this was a very exciting part of my trip and a great way to start New Year’s Eve!

I certainly underestimated how long it would take to climb to the crown and get back to Manhattan. There was a lot of security to get through, but thank goodness no real lines. My ticket with a reservation for crown access let me bypass all the security queues, so I suppose it could’ve taken longer if it wasn’t for that benefit.

I had to leave everything except my camera in a locker at the base. Mostly they’re worried about vandals scratching their name in the paint or damaging Lady Liberty on their climb up. I made the climb with only my camera. And what a long climb it was.

The stairs were those narrow circular, spiraling staircase types. The kind that would be common on a ship, or perhaps like some types of fire escapes. There wasn’t any extra room, and for a tall guy like me, there wasn’t much headspace either. But every so often, there’d be a ledge to step off the stairs and rest on.

After a long climb, there it was: I reached the crown where there were gorgeous views of Manhattan, New Jersey, and the water. The space was tight in the crown, as there was only enough room for a few people at a time. It is much smaller that I imagined, hence why the limit access to go up there. Looking out the windows, you can see her torch, people walking around on the island, the ships in the harbour, and of course, the skyline of Manhattan.

This skyline view was one thing I was after. I wanted to get a picture of Manhattan framed in by the window in Lady Liberty’s crown. The windows were much smaller than I expected, so finding the right perspective and getting the shot proved to be more difficult than I thought. Luckily, the far left window was a little bigger than the rest, and had the perfect perspective of the city.

After spending some time in the crown and having got the right shot I was hoping for, I made my way back down the stairs, coming down the other side. Actually, the next group of people were already making their way into the crown, so I also had the sense it was time to move along. Plus, time was of the essence, as I still had to get back to Times Square to queue for New Year’s Eve, and I wanted to snap some more photos on Liberty’s pedestal before I made my way back on the ferry.

It was a wonderful visit to Liberty Island. As I made a dash for the ferry back to Manhattan, I realized I spent a few hours on the island. Time sure flies when you’re hiking up narrow stairs to Lady Liberty’s crown!

Tags: nyc, nye, statue of liberty

 

About stevegoodyear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.