Existing Member?

Travel Stories of Steve Goodyear

Welcome to Yellowknife

CANADA | Monday, 6 December 2010 | Views [283]

It was an ironic twist: I picked a trip to Yellowknife over relaxing in the sun in Mexico because I felt like a few days to myself rather than amongst a bunch of party-going tourists; yet the two proved to be very welcoming, friendly, and incredibly easy to meet people.

As soon as I arrived, people welcomed me, offered a “hello” to greet me as I passed, and were just genuinely friendly. I walked around looking to explore this little town in the arctic north and met several locals in my wanders, all of whom displayed a refreshing hospitality. They were interested in where I was from and what brought me to Yellowknife. It pleased them to learn I came strictly for a different vacation, to somewhere I haven’t been, hopefully to photograph the northern lights.

The place was cold - it was December in the Canadian north arctic, after all - but the people were not. I met some who were always from there, and others who moved there from somewhere else. This was a curious bunch, for I was intrigued what would bring someone to move to a small town, isolated in the north. Jobs were a popular answer; relationships were another. Whatever the reason, everyone loved their town, and all the town offered.

Their pride shined through as different people recommended different places to eat, different things to see, and different things to do while I was in town. Some of them loved telling me stories about the history of the place, what makes it thrive, and what it would be like if I returned (which, they encouraged) in a different season.

Another pleasant surprise in Yellowknife was the food. For some of the best fish, Bullock’s Bistro in Old Town Yellowknife is a must. They have a fun tradition of allowing guests to sign their name or some other message where ever they can find room: on one of the walls, ceiling, tables, chairs, anywhere. Even though the place is covered with these little notes, I still felt a little naughty adding one myself.

I also ate a couple times at a nice French restaurant there called Le Frolic Bistro. Dinner here was also a delicious treat. Up the street from this bistro is The Black Knight Pub, a British pub which seems quite popular most nights. It has tasty pub food, and was a fun place to relax with a brew while meeting some locals.

Tags: arctic, exploring, yellowknife

 

About stevegoodyear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.