Existing Member?

Same Same But Different

ILA Christmas Party

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 16 December 2008 | Views [501] | Comments [1]

This weekend was my second week of full-time teaching, although it was still tough it wasn’t half as bad as the previous weekend. There was also the added bonus of the ILA Christmas Party, an event much anticipated by the ILA staff. The party was held on Sunday night in the Sheraton Hotel and saw over 600 staff members drink and eat as much as they wanted for free. This was by far the most lavish formal ball I’ve ever been too. The theme of the event was James Bond and there was no expense spared with live bands, comedy sketches and specially prepared bond videos projected onto the walls of the dinning hall. The event started at 6:30pm but it wasn’t until eight that the doors of the main hall swung open and we were allowed in. We were greeted by huge room full of fifty plus tables and a massive stage all tailored to look like a Bondesque nd cocktail party. The event also drew to my attention just how many non-teachers work at ILA; in fact the teaching staff were outnumbered about 5-to-1 by the teaching assistants, cleaners, receptionists, office staff, security guards and the rest of the support staff. Without all those people ILA simply couldn’t operate. I just went in a tux but allot of people went all out with there Bond themed costumes. Because getting clothes tailored is so cheap here most of the girls got there dresses especially made. Some of the men also got tuxes especially tailored but those who really made an effort had costumes of bond villains made exactly as they were in the film (you can just bring any photo to a tailor and they will copy). The best costume by a long stretch was Robin’s who went as Blofeld (Bond’s reoccurring villain), he even shaved his beard and head to get into character. The most inventive costume has to go to Luke Wilson who came dressed as a Martini glass: I sat on a table of about ten with most of the other new teachers. I’ve been really lucking having other new people here with whom I've had the chance to explore the city. I work with with Helen and Will, who both went to my University, and James who I did my CELTA course in Oxford with; it’s a small world. Aside from the wonderful company, the best part of the night was the food. Everything from sushi to roast turkey was on offer. I tried veal for the very first time and couldn’t get enough of it. I did feel slightly guilty as the people to my left and right were having a conversation about being vegetarian while I muched on baby cow. After the hotel shut around half midnight most people headed to T&R’s and continued the party there until the early hours. All in all my best night here so far.

Comments

1

Hi Stephen,

That sounds like an awesome Christmas party! I was thinking of doing my CELTA at ILA as I've heard many good things about the school. Your story adds to my "pro" list. I enjoy your blog, especially the ride to work!

Cheers.
Monica

  Monica Dimofski Apr 13, 2009 10:21 AM

About stephen_wright


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.