Existing Member?

Same Same But Different

Induction Week

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 3 December 2008 | Views [373]

It has been two weeks since I arrived and I figure this is a good to write about my first impressions and how they have changed over the course of the 14 days. After my rather euphoric experience in Hong Kong, I was brought back to reality upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh City. My first impressions was overwhelming and not exactly positive; having insisted on staying awake to watch and entire season of Entourage on the flight, I was pretty jet-lagged by the time I arrived. My fatigue was not helped by the fact that the temperature outside was pushing 33 degrees. I was dropped off at my hotel (see photo) by someone from ILA but after that I was on my own. Wondering around in the unbearable heat that afternoon I was forced to ask myself two questions; firstly, why did I come here? and secondly, why did I pack two pairs of jeans and only one pair of shorts?. Luckily the negativity was short-lived, as soon as I met Sam (another new teacher) we started exploring the city which had suddenly come less daunting when armed with a travel buddy (and a pair of shorts). The first thing that one must learn to do when coming to Vietnam is cross the road. As seen in the picture bellow, traffic here is insane. The best method to get across the road is to shut your eyes and make small and steady steps. I’ve been told that Top Gear filmed here especially because of the traffic problems.

About stephen_wright


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.