Existing Member?

Live the Dream Exercise: Leave job, family and friends. Pack backpack, wallet and passport. Ensure willing attitude to everything and adventurous spirit. Live the Dream. Results below...

No more charades...

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 15 July 2007 | Views [907] | Comments [4]

Arriving in England  was something of a rude shock. After spending months in countries where English was not a first language and I was something of an anomoly, I suddenly found that I was just another face in the crowd. Where was my special treatment? Where were the stares, whispers and laughing at my linguistics? Hmm, I had to come to terms with the fact that maybe I wasn't as special as I had been led to believe over the previous months.

But arriving back in the UK was a great feeling as I had some good friends to meet up with. My first homestay with friends from back home was interesting, quite a whirlwind for a week (story for another day) where I first met Natalie, a special lady who made my heart feel a little like I'd eaten too much cholesterol... I also caught up with Antonia (from Sri Lanka) and had a dinner party at her warehouse apartment. The kind of big open converted warehouse apartment I've always dreamt of. Although envious, it is good to see these places do happen for some people, and it was great to see 'Tones again.

Amanda, Nat and I then spent a wonderful day at Wimbledon where the weather kept at bay and four Aussies sailed through with wins - I like to think we made a difference... Apparently I even made the tv back home, getting Wayne Arthurs through a tough 5 setter.

From there I went on to spend a couple of days with my cousin Liz, her husband Alex and 1 year old Jack. It was great to see them again and looking so well. My appreciation for the work of parents was given a turbo charge. Though Jack was a great well-tempered little bloke who loved a laugh, Uncle Steve got tired...

But there was a loud voice in my head getting louder all the time - yep, my beloved Scotland was calling. My heritage stems from Scotland and somehow I feel a great bond with this country and the people. My excitement grew as the plane touched down. I was going to catch up with some great friends here I had met nearly three years earlier.

Given the current terrorist attacks in London and on a Scottish airport that day, security was tight and we were made to board a bus from the terminal out to the public road. Coincidentally enough, it turned out I was sitting next to the parents of my Australian housemate Devo, who I then met with his girlfriend Louise at the bus drop-off. This was quite a happy coincidence and hopefully I will be catching up with them with a bit more time later.

Then I spotted Mark. I had met Mark and Leanne three years earlier and had become really good friends with them then - so I had been looking forward to this for a while. Mark drove me back to their place where I stayed with them, their daughter Taylor and new 6 month old Connor. Scottish hospitality was never so good, as we caught up over beers and some strange Scottish Warrior display (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkbuezTjZik).

Over the next few days, as I was already familiar with Edinburgh, I could skip the tourist attractions and simply become a man of leisure - whacking some golf balls about and playing some pool - I even let Mark take a few games in return for the hospitality...  Connor was a joy of a kid, with one hell of a grip as I found out after play threatening him and him responding with grabbing my shirt collar and refusing to let go... this is a kid who wont take rubbish.

One Saturday, with Taylor away at camp and Connor at his Nans, we decided to head out to a comedy club. Of course being the only Aussie in the crowd left me open as free game to all the 'hilarious' comedians. My head flooded with witty and very sharp comebacks.. the next day.

Wanting to prolong my stay in Edinburgh with these guys I looked into finding employment, as by now after 7 months without income I was starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Given my UK working holiday visa had expired 2 years ago, I only had one other visa option. This I found I could have easily sorted out back home, but from here it is unfortunately impossible now. Luckily a contact I had made in Estonia put me onto event organisers for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival who agreed to put me on. Unfortunately it is basically a volunteer position with only accommodation provided, so will have to see if this will cut the mustard as the UK is not an easy place to stay without an income and a quickly deflating bank balance.

But, as it had been raining pretty much every day over this UK summer that I've been here - and I did have two weeks before the festival, Nat and I decided that some sunshine would be nice. Remembering a favourite place of mine, we decided to go to San Sebastian in Spain for some sun and surf.

As the plane touched down, all that could be seen outside was rain.. This continued all day and the next. My idyllic home was covered in white cloud and was drenched. Needless to say we became very familiar with the inside of our hotel. However on the third day the sun rose high and beat down some gorgeous golden rays and San Sebastian emerged as I remembered.

The mighty Jesus statue - a la Rio style - looked down from its hilly perch upon the white sandy half-moon shaped beach of Playa de la Concha as we frolicked in the waves below. Beautiful beach, beautiful girl, sun and sangria... I could want for nothing. However my absence from the sun led to some over indulgence and pretty soon we were both looking the lobster.

One evening venturing out for dinner we find the menu all in Spanish. Thinking it would be fun to point at something and hope for the best, we ordered. In no time our meals arrived. Looking down at the two pizzas before us, it became apparent that aside from the base, all ingredients hit the top of Nats mortal enemy list. Needless to say, I had a great feed while Nat sipped her coke and watched on... we patronised Macca's the next day...

The next couple of days was brilliant sunshine and shimmering sea, involving much frolicking and also leisurely strolls through the old town checking out the wares. Leaving my paradise home behind to travel back to rain soaked London was a little difficult. However that is where I am now, where I encounter a bit of a 'Choose your own Adventure' scenario.

I have a ticket already booked for Edinburgh, however re-assessing my financial status leads me to ruling out the volunteer scenario with the festival. This is combined with the fact that around Nat I seem to get this strange sensation, similar I guess to that feeling you get in that split second when you jump out of a steaming hot sauna and go straight under a cold shower...

Hmm, so I guess what I need to do is to find work quickly (the UK seems to be ruled out. Unless anyone has any ideas? Distant relatives willing to offer sponsorship perhaps??), but not stray too far. Presently Ireland seems to be the ticket. It seems to me the Guiness is calling, however you'd be a fool to try and pre-empt where I will end up..

Well, until the next episode full of twists and turns.. Adios!

Tags: Friends

 

Comments

1

I hear your pain brother having been the butt of a UK comedian myself.

  ThOmaSS Jul 16, 2007 4:28 PM

2

Well Stephen, I'm a bit puzzled by a lady who leaves you feeling like you have too much cholesterol - and that shocking sensation of an icy shower after a long hot sauna........
Don't you forget that you are Mummy's Boy!

  Mum Jul 16, 2007 5:30 PM

3

I'm having some difficulties with the cholesterol and shower comments too... Are you saying that I give you heartburn? Or perhaps that I make you cringe, go rigid and turn blue? Next you'll be telling people that I make you feel as if you've gotten a dose of food poisoning after eating sushi at a fast food chain with an iffy fridge.
We really need to work on your analogies.
N.

  Natalie Jul 16, 2007 7:24 PM

4

Ok I am a little drunk in the video clip that you have kindly provided for the world to see.

That's how to flex!!!!

  Mark Jul 18, 2007 7:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.