Existing Member?

Tribulations of a swiss guy From solo to family travel, or things that happen when you meet the right person on the road. And how we're transmitting the travel bug to our children.

Vegemite

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 17 August 2007 | Views [5392] | Comments [1]

Hmmm, Vegemite!

Hmmm, Vegemite!

Now this one might be truly appreciated only by the Australians and the Swiss. The Australians because, after meeting so many of you guys on the road saying that Vegemite was damn’ good mate, I finally had a chance to try it. And the Swiss ones when I’ll tell you what it tastes like…

On an early morning, on my way to Exmouth, I drove past the Whim Creek Pub that the guys from the Lonely Planet highly recommend. Since my breakie had been a bit light, I figured it was all the excuse I needed to stop and see what true Outback pub looks like. Well, what can I say, it does look like a neat pub with bar, pool tables and all. And a menu, on which the first item was a classic: toasts with jam, honey,….or Vegemite! This was my chance and I had to give it a go.

Despite having heard most of the non-Australians saying that this stuff was really far from good - to be polite -, I liked it. A lot! The reason is quite simple, and if you are Swiss, you’ll understand without difficulty. Vegemite tastes like our Cenovis. Or the other way around, if you prefer. If you are Australian, think of Cenovis as a close relative to your Vegemite. And if you are Swiss, let’s say Vegemite is almost as good as Cenovis. And if your are neither one, or have never travelled to either place, the only thing I can tell you is: Come on over and try the stuff, because it’s vachement bon, mon gars!

Tags: ambassador van, food & eating

Comments

1

Hahaha good old Vegemite.
My boyfriend is from Australia and he put a bit of it on the tip of his tongue without me noticing, and then he proceeded to kiss me. I swear I almost threw it up right then and there. It was nasty, but on toast it wasn't so bad and now I really like it.

  surfveza Sep 3, 2007 8:34 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.