Existing Member?

Galopping around the world

Taupo, Tongarian Crossing

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 25 November 2009 | Views [303]

I am officially in pain... Just came back from a 7 hour 19.4km hike and no it did not go straight. Besides at times mega winds there were some pretty steap climbs. Was amazing though. This hike, called the Tongarian crossing is rated as one of NZ top day walks and it really was stunning. Pretty much it is a Vulcano area and you hike up next to the Vulcano. There are also some beautiful blue blue blue lakes up there accompanied by a not so charming sulpher smell. I met a lovely French girl on the bus to the crossing and we did the hike together. We were really lucky with the weather, blue blue skies. So besides the wind sometimes being a bit scary as you have the impression of being blown of the edge (and from that edge it goes dooooooooooooooooooooooooooown) it was a beautiful day. hhahah I think my body will not feel so beautiful tomorrow but it was well worth it. I'd rate it as one of my favourites of this NZ trip. I am also really glad I had those hiking boots which did help a great deal with the rough terrain. (and no blisters... happy days!!). After a hot shower I shall now treat me to a meal out.

Yesterday we arrived here in Taupo which is next to a big beautiful lake and guess what it is finally warm. The South island was rather cold and it rained quite a bit. So this is a very nice change. Just had a wonder around town and did some reading. It is so funny how you keep on bumping into people. Once again met people from my first bus and will see them at my next stop tomorrow which is Rotorua ( there is some stinky mud puds there) it is also the culture capital of NZ with a lot of Maori culture being there.

That's it for now. food is calling

Stef

About stefylein


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.