Existing Member?

No Espanol! Bus and Bike across Latino America

Paraguay why!!

PARAGUAY | Wednesday, 26 March 2008 | Views [526]

We are currently in the sleepy town of Conception pretty much in the centre of Paraguay, after recently deciding to visit this country only because very few tourists actually do and also because when we told people we were coming here their immediate reaction was a stunned - Paraguay why!

We entered Paraguay via Puerto Iguaçu argentina and Ciudad del Este about a week ago. As the only thing Ciudad is famous for is smuggling and maybe the odd nock off, we just stayed the one night and took the bus the following day to the Capital Asuncion.

Unfortunately by this time it was Easter weekend and Asuncion known as the quite slow passed capital of South America had almost ground to a halt. For the three days we were there the streets were eerily empty and all we could find open were the odd diners and of course the drug stores. If you have ever seen the movie The 'Omega Man' or the recent movie 'Legend' you get a better picture.

Luckily we got a nice deal on the Plaza Hotel and were able to spend the weekend watching premiership football on fox sports and drinking fine Paraguayan largers in our air conditioned room. Only venturing into the 46 degree day time and 30 degree evening heat only to eat in the fantastic diner bar Lido and confiteria Bolisa, where slightly rotund, motherly waitresses served up succulent dishes and paraguian snacks. I can certainly recommend the pork medallions in a wine, mushroom and garlic gravy or the traditional snack sopa paraguay, which is like a savoury cheese and onion sponge, at first strange but it actually works.

We left the crumbling colonial architecture and somewhat militarian high rise blocks of Asuncion on Monday. After refusing to pay the fifteen dollars the conductor wanted to take my bicycle we took the bus to where we are now the sleepy but picturesque town of Conception. We had hoped to take a sleepy boat ride up the river but our timing was out and it would mean waiting a few more days in Asuncion. Although it is well worth the visit, if just for the food, a week may be just a little too long.

The last two days in Conception have been enjoyable but not exactly faced paced. The town just as Asuncion has a historic nineteenth century centre, a bustling market and a small harbour on the river. However the only things that move at any real pace are the mopeds and the odd horse and cart that pass you in the street. Paraguay is certainly a lovely place to visit but don't expect to be partying as in Rio or Buenos Aeries.

Tomorrow if possible we will get a boat up the river into Brazil and see some wild life in the Pantanal. However as we are not too sure if the boat will arrive or is actually going in that direction plans could change, nothing is ever certain in Paraguay?

 

 

Travel Answers about Paraguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.