Existing Member?

No Espanol! Bus and Bike across Latino America

6 June 2007 - Latacunga

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 6 June 2007 | Views [514]

I have now done two days cycling and reached Latacunga. The first day was an experience, (35 miles) getting out of Quito was quite hard as most of it was uphill with a cloud of diesel fumes from all the trucks and buses that past by. I made it however and then had a long descent into Sanolqui. Although after that it was pretty much uphill all the way to Machachi. I decided not to stay in Machachi but go on to a Hacienda in Alosi a couple of kms away. I thought this would be okay even though I had spent the last 10 miles feeling light headed and rather sick. However I was wrong! The Hacienda was another km after Alosi up a steep stony dirt track which is the last thing you need after 35 miles cycling at altitude mostly uphill. By the time I got there I just want to sleep, but spent the next twenty minutes trying to get the price of a room which if you had seen the place you would have thought it was worth all the effort.


I spent the rest of the night eating, drinking and chatting to a middle aged German chap who had come to Ecuador alone even though he was married and had two children. I think he might be separating?

Today was not too bad even though I spent four hours climbing to 3000 metres, most of the time riding 100 yards and then having to stop to get my breath back. However once I was at the top it was down hill all the way to Latacunga which took an hour and a half to do the same distance. I would advise anyone going down hill at 50 miles an hour on an 60kg bike including gear to be careful when you try to stop as it can be like stopping a drag car especially if a large truck is overtaking you at 80miles an hour.


I have mostly be travelling along the Pan American highway which isn't the best cycling but this has given me a chance to get used to the hills and the altitude which has been tough. Tomorrow I will ride to Banos which should be more fun as I will get off the PA Highway and ride the Ecuadorian B roads which can just be a dirt track.

Anyway I have had my $1.50 chicken dinner (took 20 minutes to order and 10minutes to eat, I need to learn some Spanish) and I'm off back to my $10 dollar hotel room to drink a beer on my balcony whilst breathing in the diesel fumes of the buses and trucks that pass by -Latacunga what picturesque city.

Tags: cycling

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.