Existing Member?

Peace OUT!

unbloggable

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 25 March 2009 | Views [381] | Comments [3]

i guess theres something i ought explain. im getting a little tired of blogging, i feel like most the stories are getting to be the same thing, and the really important, interesting stuff is impossible to describe. i cant sit here in an internet cafe and explain a personality, the mentality of a nation, the beauty of scuba diving, or the kind of conversations you have with like minded people. I wish it were easier, but it isnt. Sitting around with locals and learning some mayan phrases while watching the sunset isnt describable in words. sure i could tell you whats said, but only the experience carries sentiment. Having an intellectual local explain to me, in my second language, the tragic history of his nation, something he experienced first hand, in honest tone, completely ignoring the fact that these events were more or less orchestrated by my own government... i dont know how to put these sort of things into words... its undescribable

i do know what i can put into words: more americans need to travel, and travel for a long time. there is unspeakable value in even beginning to understand another way of life. theres more to the world than must see tv... and soon enough westernization will have conquered it all. all the same fastfood restraunts are here. people watch our television programs, watch our movies. a culture is so firmly based on its pop media, and if american media sneaks its way everywhere, whats going to happen? look where we are. greed has almost become an instinct for some people. even this is another thing theres no way i can simply explain in the amount of time im willing to sit here and type. but its strange. and im not sure that i like the fact that everyone here knows about Lil Wayne and pro wrestling and jackass. it's ugly. people dance to the mindless american club songs here. of course, most dont know what they mean, but they can still sing the chorus. and sure, their own pop music is just as cheesy... (not to demean latin music, i prefer the radio here... and i guess i dont understand the complicated stuff anyways...))

just another longwinded aimless ADD rant that i dont really know why im saying or what it means or anything like that.

thats why ive been so lazy about this...

and its only gonna get worse.

ps: no i dont actually think westernization will turn the world into some strange monoculture... well, i dont think monoculture is a word, but you get the picture...

Comments

1

Hey Dust,

I know what you're talking about. I remember sitting at a really beautiful place surrounded by Guatemalans and thinking basically the same things. There is no way to explain the beauty and pain you experience in a foreign culture. And you are 100% right about Americans needing to see the world from another perspective. Unfortunately, most would prefer to travel to fancy resorts and see what you're doing as scary.

Glad to hear all is okay. That's all I want, to hear from you occasionally and know you're alive and well. I like the word "monoculture"; hopefully we will never see one and if we do I hope it's not ours.

Love you.

  wendy Mar 27, 2009 11:57 AM

2

AMENN BROTHAAA!!!

<3

  Anna Westgard Apr 28, 2009 7:50 AM

3

Hi Dustin,
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you. I think what you're doing is amazing and I know your mom would be proud of you. Drop me a line sometime. Would love to know that you're okay.

  Mary Ellen Jun 6, 2009 3:38 AM

About soyeldustin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.