Existing Member?

Peace OUT!

back to guatemala... mitchell!

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 18 March 2009 | Views [397]

i dont know if ill ever finish that last message. the blogging thing hasnt been high on my list of priorities here...

Left Utila, ferry back to La Ceiba. On the boat I met a girl who was going to San Pedro Sula that afternoon, and decided to head with her, just to make a little progress on the ridiculously long bus ride. Made it to Sula and decided to find a cheaper bus. I ran across a night bus to the capital. Perfect, no hostel charge, easy transport. Paid my ticket and asked when it left. 2am. Great. This more or less meant 5 hours of waiting in a bus terminal. Luckily there were a couple of gringas hanging around, we took a cab to dinner, and killed a bunch of time in this nice mexican restaurant.

That night bus was about as exciting as could be expected.

In the morning, we were driving over the border, when one of the other passangers asked for a cigarette. It was my last one so I just let him have the rest. When I got to Guatemala City, I asked him where he thought was a good place to hang around waiting for my friends to show up at the airport. He said the best place would be the nice mall in Zona Viva, and mentioned his cab had to pass that way anyhow, and since I helped him out earlier, hed just let me hop in. yeah karma.

Killed time. Killed more time. Time almost killed me, theres almost nothing im comfortable doing in guatemala city with my backpack passport and wallet on me. So I sat in a swanky cafe, and did nothing. At all.

Met mitchell at the airport, and we hopped on another nightbus to Tikal. When I went to sleep i folded up the arms of the seats, and layed across 3 open seats. In the middle of the night, I woke up with someone's jacket draped over my feet. I didnt want them to wake up with some gringo feet wrapped in their jacket, So i kicked it off onto the floor. He just picked it back up, and put the jacket on my feet. I thought you should hear about that. Not something that would happen in the states. I was grateful though, they overdid the AC on that ride and my feet were cold...

Got to flores, cool hostel. I havent been disapointed with a hostel yet... Tikal was waaay cool. Cant describe these sort of things well in text, though. That afternoon we took a boat tour of the lake, and I kept forgetting mitch doesnt understand spanish. The tour guide was real informative. Told us about the underground animal trade, where to find monkeys, how to tell a good coconut. He drove us around the lake for 2 hours, then he took us up to a 'lookout,' which would better be described as a treehouse with a good view. It was in his friend's back yard, but the guy gave us coconuts and we watched the sunset. 

ate dinner. spent the next day on a bus. ended up in the most beautiful place Ive ever been.

ill blog about semuc champey later. right now im going tubing.

About soyeldustin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.