Existing Member?

Peace OUT!

ojala/baul 2

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 1 February 2009 | Views [350] | Comments [1]

1-30 Woke up to an awesome breakfast. I figure I should say something about it. We usually have mosh (hot milk+cornflakes) with a fried egg, toast and sometimes either a steamed plantain or black beans. And coffee. lots of coffee. Its been a big change waking up at 7 every day, but im kinda getting used to it. After breakfast, I go and study spanish grammar for four hours. Then lunch with the family. Then I usually roam around xela til dinner time.

Tonight after dinner, I met up with a girl Oregon and this dude from upstate new york. We went and got a pint of whiskey for $3 and drank it on a bridge over the street... pretty rad. Roamed some more, got another pint, ha, and then we walked up to this bar called Ojalá. Its pretty much the gringo hangout in xela, but I really like it there. The DJs were these two dudes that run an internet cafe down the block. The bar was full of real cool travelers from all around the place. Good music, fun dancing, etc etc. I stayed there til about 1 in the morning, and took a taxi home. I got high bucked, but I guess its a real bad idea to walk home drunk and white at 1am in this city. There are alot of rumors floating around of people getting stuck up against walls. Last night Sara told me about one of the tour guides she had, he was walking home at about 3 when a van rolled up, swooped him in, stole his clothes, watch, money, basically anything of value, and dropped him off on the outskirts without in his underwear. That in mind, i gladly payed Q20 for a 7 block ride.

About 5 hours later, Josue woke me up to go climb a mountain. At first I wanted to say no, but.. i figured i could hack it. Im super glad I came. Josue, his cousin alex, one of their friends and I all walked to the ourtskirts of the city, and found a path up the mountain. Super cool hike and views. Eventually we found a ¨shortcut¨ that were these super steep hills with phone wires tied to a tree at the top, so they were somewhat easy to climb. It probly took us an hour to get up after we got out of the city. The whole way was awesome nature and cool views. They told me some of the local folklore. Theres a little man in an oversized sombrero, who will appear infront of you on the hill late at night, and you have to know some password or pay a toll or something, or he´ll curse you. Theres also a ghostwoman who roams the hills at night crying ¨mis hijos!!¨ (my kids.) Also, Elves. Anyway, we get to the top, and they ask me if i can do monkey bars... I dunno why they didnt think id be able to, cus i can totally skip like 3 bars inbetween. suckas. Then we climbed up the statue thing. Its way more than 20-40 feet. its like 20-40 meters. From the top, youre just over the treeline. I took photos, its super rad, will post soon. We got down and hit up these concrete slides on the other side of the park. Waaay fun. These slides arent really for kids. You fly down them, super super fast. Then, we went and checked out the lookout for a while, and went back down.

When I got back, the oldest sister and mom sorta grilled me about coming home at one. They said they could tell by my footsteps I was drunk. Oops. I dont think theyre really mad or anything, but the whole family is straight-edge, so it made for awkward lunch conversation. (sitting at the table with a 7 year old, talking about what I drank and who I danced with at the clubs, whether or not I smoke weed, etc etc.)

Tonight, Ill take it easy. Im going to mass at 630 on sunday.

Comments

1

Hey, I had mosh every morning with my Guatemalan family, but no eggs or toast.

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I'm not worrying about you anymore, now I'm jealous.

I can't believe you're going to mass! I don't think that is a requirement/agreement with your school. Remember, at the school they said you could switch families. But it is only for 3 more weeks and you do have a great house. And you thought I was a yoke around your neck!!! It's probably good to have Josue around, the locals will know you've got "friends", plus he can show you lots. I bet madre won't like it if you give Josue some liquor.

How's Rocky? You're not missing anything yet.

Love you, xoxo

Auntie Wendy

  wendy Feb 3, 2009 12:35 PM

About soyeldustin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.