Existing Member?

Travelling South America

Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol

BOLIVIA | Friday, 15 November 2013 | Views [391]

Brilliant to be out of Peru and back in ´real´South America.  Copacabana town on the edge of the lake is pretty touristy, but very nice.  Here we stayed in a hotel next to the infamous Bolivian Navy - the only inland navy in the world as a result of countless defeats to Chile and Peru.  They marched out of time to a trumpet player (that I could compete with) with great enthusiasm twice a day every day.  We stayed over night before getting on a boat to Isla del Sol a lovely quiet island were the Inca Creation Legend started.  Viracocha, the creator god had children (Manco Kapac and Mama Ocllo) who rose from the waters of Lake Titicaca to found Cuzco and the inca dynasty.

 

We walked from one end the island to the other, stayed on the beach and ate the worst fish dinner ever!  The only option in the beach shack/shop that night.  We have since seen the same tinned fish (in tomato sauce) in supermarkets across South America, which is very surprising as we can only imagine the starving dogs would turn their noses up at it.

 

Our first sight of snow was on the bus from Copacabana to La Paz, where we crossed stunning desolate mountains above 5000m.    

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.