Existing Member?

Travelling South America

Chachapoyas

PERU | Saturday, 21 September 2013 | Views [314]

We would not have bothered with this route had we known how long it took in advance.  It took most of the day, starting very early, a bus, a taxi, a border crossing, a combi (taxi for the first four people to arrive) and then another larger minibus style combi to arrive at Jaen, Peru.  I should add here that the first taxi was with 2 Swiss and 2 Germans I talked into sharing with us, and so glad I did as they did all spoke Spanish.  The taxi was a Toyota truck, so Damian and I started in the back with the bags enjoying the fresh air, much to the shock of the others, who were relieved to get to sit inside.  Then it started spitting, then torrential rain.  We dived in the back grabbing the Swiss bags and squeezed in on top of each other.  I should add now that we bumped into the Swiss in Chachapoyas 2 days later and found out they were organised and had all clothes in plastic bags, while mine and Damian's were drenched.  Anyway, we ended the day in Jaen at an excellent hostel, more like a very nice 3* hotel, called Manantial which cost us about $7.50 each.  Very very nice surprise at 9.30pm.  Then up and out for 8.30am.

Another 3hr combi minibus and we were at Chachapoyas.  We stayed for $7.50 again at not so nice a hostel (it was not too bad either), massive room and exceptionally helpful staff, especially for booking the bus to Trujillo.  Hostel Aventura, in great location, very quiet again - a rare treat on a continent where windows are filled with some glass, but gaps are totally fine and definitely the norm.

Next day was an organised tour for a change, another 6hrs in a bus (bad idea) to Kuelap, a pre Inca ruin. This was a massive fort the size of a small village, on a hill top with walls 25m high and pretty deep too.  This place was really good, but not worth the long journey.  I did like the fact they buried their Shaman's by the gate to protect them from invading Incas.  Unfortunately it didn't work as the Incas got in and conquered the Chachapoyans after an 11 year seige.  

On to Trujillo by night bus the same day, arriving at 9ish after a wriggly and uncomfortable sleep. Felt a bit bad for the girl next to me, but would have been worse if I had kept Damian up as would of had a right telling off in the morning.  As it was she put up with me very well I thought. Taxi to Huanchaco the following morning.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.