Existing Member?

SokoCat-My life in Korea Hi, I'm Cat currently living and working in South Korea. Having just finished university I was warned by my friends that 'real life' would take about a year to start. I therefore decided I would do something different, travel and see the world.

Arriving in -30/10/2009

SOUTH KOREA | Thursday, 12 November 2009 | Views [389]

I sit writing this sat on my bed, in my flat, somewhere in Daegu South Korea. I am eating some form of bread (Korean) that appears to have some form of cream in the middle...this could end badly.

 I arrived bang on schedule last night after a journey which seemed very short but was actually around 14 hours. I arrived tired and more than a bit bewildered. Picking me up at the airport was a man who was apparently named Robin and his silent friend who I suppose was only silent because he didnt speak English. We drove through a dark city which I was informed was infact pronounced 'Taegu'. He was informing me of all this after asking me whether I knew what his city was called. I hope this was just making conversation and they dont think I am some kind of idiot who gets on a plane and doesnt know where they are going...I was informed we were going to 'my house' which as it turns out is a basement/bottom floor flat with a sitting room/bedroom, a kitchen/hall and a shower/toilet. It's a little bare but as my mother would say it is 'clean and there's a shower and a bed, what more do you want?' It seems Koreans don't believe in furniture. Well that or its just these flats come furnished to the bare minimum. Still I had a nice box of things waiting for me when I got here. Some cooking utensils, some water, some weird cream filled bread and some milk. In the box of cooking utensils someone had had the foresight to put in a 'tea kettle'. I dont know whether they thought, 'Hmmm she is English, she will want tea!' or what but whoever but that in there...I love you!

 Speaking of good ideas, at my mothers insistance I packed 12 cereal bars that she had bought on BOGOF in Morrisons. Mum, I will never doubt your forward planning again! I ate two last night with a cup of tea (whoever mocked my bringing of tea bags must be feeling pretty silly now) then one around 7 this morning as I was having trouble sleeping. I never sleep well in a new place initially, even in the UK. I got into bed after rifling through my suitcase for my pjs (NB In future pack the things you will need first on the top) and I slept on and off until 11 as I had to be up and dressed to let the landlord in to fix the sink. Sink/shower fixed I went food shopping.

 I had been told by Robin and his silent friend that there was a department store near by. I ventured out in good faith but shops that you cant even read the names of are a little scary. I vetoed a fair few and eventually, after wandering a little futher, found 'Teresa Mart'. On googlemaps there is a map of Daegu for foreign teachers and one of the places on it is Teresa Mart. This convinced me I would be safe enough going inside. I ended by buying-Diet Coke, Eggs, Olive Oil, Spaghetti and the cutest little animal biscuits. That doesnt sound a very Korean shop I know but until Ive found my feet a little I am going to stick to familiar foods. The man in the shop even brought me a basket to carry everything in, bless his heart. Im quite tired now so I am going to watch Disney movies and eat biscuits, it seems I cant go to work until I have been tested for Swine Flu.

About sokocat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.