Existing Member?

Bobbing along

Fukuoka and Beppu, Kyushu, Japan

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [423]

February 11th 2005

On that friday, Andy and I went to Kyushu (the southern island of Japan) with our mates Nick (UK)and Nick (AUS). We had a blast taking the bullet train there and wandering around Fukuoka, which is one of the biggest cities in Kyushu. It's a very modern city with tall buildings and neon lights and a huge shopping mall that looks like a replica of the hanging gardens of Babylon. At night, fairy lights adorned the terraces and it was an amazing sight. We had some wonderful food there - Hakata ramen - which was a bowl of broth, kind of creamy with sesame seeds and a sesame base to it, with a massive helping of thin noodles that seemed really fresh with a hint of egg, mmmmmm!!!! It's a famous dish there, and it's sold in little 'yatais' which are big stalls set up all along the river - wooden structures with sliding doors and a counter, red lanterns hanging outside with smells of broth, soup, seafood and fried delicacies filling the air and forming a light mist. The owners stood outside and beckoned us in, or gestured to a table outside by a heater and some miniscule wooden chairs and stools. Everyone said hello and chatted with us as we ate and took numerous pictures. It was a truly astounding experience and I have really fond memories of the 2 days we were there. Of course all we did was eat, walk around, eat, walk around.... to soak up the culture of this vibrant and friendly place - fantastic!

On the Sunday we went to Beppu, which is the most famous place in Japan for 'onsen' or hot springs. We took a bus to the 'jigoku' or 'hells' - the hot springs that you can't possibly bathe in as they are too hot. One was called 'the sea' because it was a beautiful cobalt blue with hundreds of wisps of white steam coming off it. Charming gardens and trees surrounded it making it a stunning tourist spot. It's 200 meters deep and emerged 1200 years ago after a volcanic explosion. After that we visited 'the blood pool', as the clay is steaming hot to the point where the steam is red. It's Japan's oldest natural 'hell' and is 78 degrees. There were 9 to see, but all agreed that those were the best and as time was an issue, we went back to the hotel. I booked a private bath while all the lads had a doze, as our hotel had it's own natural hot spring. Oh my gosh! It was really hot, but very therapeutic and invigorating! My skin was tingling all over and several times I had to climb out and just sit on the edge.

That night we went to a famous restaurant for seafood. The raw fish was so delectable that I couldn't stop eating it, and the boys were in heaven. I had to be quick with my chopsticks to get a bite! We had lots of different kinds of fish, raw horsemeat, fried chicken, cooked beef in a pepper sauce and some cooked chicken with basil. Wonderful!

The next day we had to pack up and go home - so rather than take 2 trains and be home in 6 and a half hours, we decided to fly! It was cheaper and much faster! It was a run to the bus stop (literally) to catch the bus to Oita airport, and then we boarded one of the tiniest planes I've ever seen! It was 40 minutes to Osaka and the views were fabulous. We could see all the islands between Kyushu and Shikoku, and then the bulk of Shikoku with all it's mountains, rivers and cities spread out before us like toys waiting to be moved. The houses looked like lego blocks and it was all so colourful. After landing in Osaka, we took a bus to our station and were home (in 3 and a half hours!). It was a fun, exhausting and exhilarating trip that I was thoroughly happy I'd undertaken.

Tags: Food & eating

 

About soemmia


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.