Existing Member?

Snowy's Adventure Bangkok site seeing and treking in chang mai

Cairns, Whitsunday sailing, frasier island, Brisbane

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 23 November 2008 | Views [1659] | Comments [3]

sun set at whitsundays

sun set at whitsundays

I arrived in Cairns on the 21st Oct, stayed for a week in this great little place called the girls hostel. Cairns is like a student town full of backpackers who all hang out at this man made lagoon. Nice little town, great night life. I spent a weekend a cape tribulation, north of cairns and its tropical. I stayed in these shallet dorms in mid of rainforest and five mins walk to the deserted beach. I meet up 3girls who sounded just like the cast of corrie. We spent most of the time on the beach, with these funny little crabs that make little hole in the sand and sprend balls of sand around it in patterns. Just like on the discovery channel, Elaine (lil sis) would of liked them i took a picture just for her!

Back to cairns and pretty uneventfull couple of days, then went on a boat trip to the great barrier reef. We snorkeled and i did a intro dive prob about 6 meters or something like that. I got to see lots of colourfull fish inc some clown fish and a big massive fish about a meter or so in length. Brilliant day and we had cheese and wine on the way back, very posh!

Next road trip - Mission beach via Innisfall animal park. At the animal park i cuddled a little croc called fluffy. I Saw some awesome big croc's, 1 called henry who is 4 meters long they teased him with a bit of hairy pig. He had some big teeth!

 Arrived in mission beach on halloween, the hostel had a little halloween themed night with free Goone (thats cheap wine in a box) and jelly shots. It was a good night but not the same fancy dress efforts as back home.  Second day at mission beach i was chilling out at the pool and randomly i was asked if i wanted to help out on a sunset sail and serve cheese and wine. Course i took the offer up, as we just put the sails up the group cancelled so i got to have a free sail around and free beer. Got back just in time for happy hour at the bar , more free goone. By 8ish i was feeling squiffy and had some food. I had just a little lie down while waiting for the shower, course i feel straight asleep few hours later girl in my room woke me up to see if i wanted to go to the bar but i was kinda wrecked so i slept till 9 next morning! Awesome sleep! Thats what sailing free beer and wine does to one te he! Next morning bright a breezy i went for a run on the beach followed by a dip in the sea.

After Mission Beach we headed to Magnetic island. On the way meet up the the corrie sounding girls again and we hung out at magnetic island. We went kayaking and went koala spotting. Found a mum and baby asleep in a tree, there so cute and sleep for 20hours a day what a life! Next day we hired a topless car and cruised around the island. The number plate was 414! check out my pictures work buddies that should be the berko motor!

Magnetic Island to Airlie beach on 6th Nov. Very weird not having a bonfire night! On Friday armed with Goone and suncream i jumped on sailing boat called "Spank me" for 3 days of sailing around whitsunday with 26 other people. The crew was cool. We sailed around White haven on the first day and got to sunbath on pure white sand, it squeeks when u slide your feet on it. It was so amazing the view was breath taking. Paradise! That afternoon we snoorkeled and dived. The weather started to change and we could see a storm in th distance, it never got to us but the next morning was very grey and drissley so we couldn't go to the outer reef. We saw lots of turtles from the boat didn't manage to see any while i was snoorkeling. On the last day we sailed back to Airlie beach it was amazing. i Loved it!

Airlie beach to hervey bay to fraiser island via krombit cattle staion.

Krombit was stop over on way to hevery bay, At Krombit We hearded goat, had roast goat and learnt how to crack a whip! All good country fun

Hervey bay is a gate way to Fraiser island, Where 10 of us crammed into a 4x4 wheel truck and camped on the biggest sand island. Camping was great altho the sand got everywhere and no showers for 2 days, also we couldn't go in the sea unless you wanted to risk life against sharks, jelly fish and rip currents! All in all tho a good weekend, camping and drinking and 4x4 wheel driving.

Hervey bay to Noosa to Brisbane.

Pretty uneventfull when we left Hervey bay it was raining and it didn't stop till we got to Brisbane. i was gonna stay at noosa and chill at the beach but thats all there is to do and no fun in the rain.

Brisbane was great although they did have the worst storms in 20yrs while i was there. The storms were only at night and apart from getting rained on while sleeping because the window leaked, it was no problem. The weather during the day was great. I went for a big culture enriched walk on one of the days. Went to all the museums and art galleries. They were great. I espcially liked the contempory art gallery. There was a short flim with too people in a flat in separate rooms turing the lights on and off to music very funny! I felt very cultured by the end of the day. On the way back there was a camper van with Darth Vader on the side of it and on the back it said "come to the dark side....we have cookies" that made me laugh out loud while waiting at the traffic lights. Also saw a badge that said "out of my mind....be back in a while" Just had to share that.....

Last day at Brisbane i met up with Nicki smith from work she moved out here 2 yrs ago, we spent the day catching up and talking about work and home i had a great day. It was so nice to see someone from home.

Comments

1

Sounds awesome... Rain sounds a little welsh - but we have no turtles. Just yobs.

Have some Goone for me!
x

  Big brother Nov 24, 2008 2:51 AM

2

come on clare give us something interesting to read, who cares about crocodiles and tropic beaches and lots of free alcohol?!

sounds awsome i wish i was there, think i want to do that after uni now. what are you going to be doing over xmas? enjoy the rest of your time, it must be hard thinking of home and how cold and dull it is lol speak to you soon x x x x

  smelly Nov 26, 2008 1:34 AM

3

Love the pic!

  boat hull Oct 5, 2010 9:38 AM

About snowy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.