Existing Member?

A mini adventure!

Life in Canberra, ACT

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 16 February 2009 | Views [463]

I left Sydney yesterday and made my way to the railway station to catch a train to Canberra. Sydney and Canberra look so close on the map but it was 4 hours away! I really want to head to Melbourne as my next stop so Canberra was a good half way point. Upon arrival, being a Sunday it was dead. Nothing like the energy of Sydney, although the Lonely planet book mentions that Canberra is very deceiving upon arrival and I can see what it means. If you want something you have to look a bit harder, but it is there. Canberra is very suburban and borders wilderness. The weather was the best i've seen so far, clear sunny day, 20 degrees and dry. Upon leaving Canberra railway station It appeared to drop me off in the middle of nowhere! it looked vast but thankfully there was a taxi stand nearby. Accoring to the knowledgeable cab driver part of the Railway was ruined by floods and never fixed some time ago, which is why the train does not stop in the canberra city centre. The railways in Australia come second to coaches and flights and so they are underfunded something to do with the voting in NSW not being applicable to the people in ACT, but NSW are in charge of the funding! - bit of trivia for you there. I have two nights planned for Canberra last night being my first before heading to Melbourne, today I plan to catch a Canberra explorer bus and get the main attractions done in a day. I have met a couple of decent people so far from Germany and Vietnam, oh and that guy I spoke of in my last post was an indigenous New Zealander also known as Maori!

Tags: act, canberra, trekking

About smorg


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.