Existing Member?

A mini adventure!

Walking Around Sydney Central - Landmarks

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 11 February 2009 | Views [682] | Comments [4]

The day I arrived in sydney I checked into a pretty decent hostel called Sydney Central YHA! (after having tried a few to no avail) It has some decent facilities which are quite impressive such as Cinema, Sauna room and roof top swimming pool! The weather so far has been mildly warm to hot esp at midday with intervels of rain. So far I have met some pretty decent people in this hostel to name two there was Peter from England and Oscar from the Netherlands. Today the three of us trekked to some real major parts of sydney going briefly to the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Opera house, Sydney Cove (AKA Port Jackson), The Rocks and a brief visit to Darling harbour. We covered all this today on foot and my feet are killing me! -=[I will upload some photos that I took I just need to write this while it's all still fresh in my head!]=- This was a truly nice experience the views and places look amazing. The Opera house being a very impressive piece architecture and Sydney Cove was also very impressive. The Rocks is a place which holds some of the most oldest buildings in Australia dating back to the periods of first settlement, it gets it's name mainly from the fact the buildings are buit from sandstone rock! We managed to find the oldest pub in Sydney and of course could not resist a well earned pint in there after all this trekking. It was in Port Jackson I saw the first Aboriginal, they were playing the didgeridoo and I was able to join in with them surrounded by tourists taking photos of us! My impressions so far of Sydney as a city it is very clean, vibrant has some great architectures and it is especially laid back and nothing like the fast pace of London! We then had to bid farewell to Oscar and me and Peter proceeded to a bar. It was here where I spent the rest of the afternoon. We met a couple of vagrants in here, two brothers from Belgium who have been travelling for 10 years! Needless to say I got pretty hammered and after loads of walking and mild heat not a great combination and so what happened when I got back? yep I fell asleep and woke up at 11PM! this is the second time I have crashed at a stupid time now and my body clock is crazy, I was up and about from 5AM today! Jet lag still seems to be taking it's toll.

I hope to come back to the Darling Harbour and Botanic Gardens tomorrow to get a more detailed experience of the two places.

Au revoir for now!

Tags: trekking sydney, walking sydney

Comments

1

So happy for you that it is all going ok. So jealous, what an experience you are having. Can just see you dancing about while they played their didgeridoo's. Really glad that you have met up with people so soon. So do they sell anything other than Fosters? Am sure you body clock will adjust, although you will have to make an effort to stay awake until night time. What a pretty name Darling Harbour... Anyway Mia's birthday today, so special walk and dinner for her tonight. Take care of yourself and keep us updated. Again, so happy that you are enjoying yourself, it all sounds wonderful.

Speak soon, loads of love to you,

Julie.xx

  Julie Feb 12, 2009 9:39 PM

2

Thanks Jules, yeah it's going pretty sweet so far, backpacking community is pretty sweet. They don't actually sell Fosters or Castlemaine XXX! they sell a range of beers which I have not heard of the popular one being Toohey New or Newy Tooh one of the two! I hope you got Mia a party hat, Stefs birthday was on the first feb, she's one now!
Take care

  smorg Feb 12, 2009 9:57 PM

3

Geez you sound like your having the time of your life i'm very happy for you but i still think you should have requested nirvana from the natives playing the didgeridoo's but you may think of this next time p.s. i'm not a daddy long story thoought i got a bird up the duff lol so typical lol

  Big T Feb 13, 2009 1:20 AM

4

Haha cheers T, yeah this could be one of the best experiences so far for sure, can see myself doing a lot of travelling. Not quite sure how they could hit the right chords to play nirvana on a didgeridoo but if I see them again i'll ask them to play teen spirit! glad to hear it mate you're too young to be making babies you're still one yourself (a big one granted!)

  smorg Feb 13, 2009 7:57 AM

About smorg


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.