Existing Member?

Uganda

Kyogo and Congo

UGANDA | Saturday, 9 February 2013 | Views [388]

Hello

 

So after the excitement of seeing the gorillas this week has been a little more chilled out. I have spent time around the camp here with the odd visit for a nice beverage at one of the fancy lodges and also a run up there, on which we were joined by about 20 kids! Meant I had to keep going so it was good exercise.... We also went on a bar crawl of the lodges at the weekend as one of the guests staying here had a car which caused great excitement!

 

Yesterday we walked to the Congo which was an epic walk! We went to do a nutrition survey in a remote village called Chogo which involved 2 hrs walking up hill up a mountain with Alex form CTPH who walks even faster than my dad.....I practically had to run to keep up with him and almost didn’t make it! The view from the top was amazing though we could see right over the Congo and only a few hundred meters from where it starts in the forest.

 

The village we visited called Kyogo was at the top of the mountain and really pretty but isolated from most things, it a two hr walk carry in stretcher to the nearest hospital and water is collected form holes they dig to collect rainwater and food is hard to come by so quite a few cases of malnutrition. The school was just an old church that most children cannot afford to go to and they have no books just a chalk board and most people cannot read or write there so I am hoping to help Alex out with fundraising for the school, so might be asking for your help!!!

Anyway, relaxing day today and maybe a walk at the weekend

Lots of love

Helen xx

 

Hey there,

As you see from all the lovely pictures, we have been busy, he climb to Kyogo (proounced Chogo) was brutal, both of us nearly collapsed before the top. The survey was great, Heln working in one team with her translator Innocent. I was working with Alex and this meant we coered more houses over our 2 hour period. I have just finished my report of the village and we found a 40% malnutrition rate in the under 5 population which was high and related to the isolation and poor education of nutrition and disease.

We are hoping to go back to help with the problems there but are a bit afraid of the climb!

Otherwise things are going well, we are off walking in the forest on Sunday to see the monkeys and to swim in a waterfall. Hopefully the weekafter we are off for a week holiday in Lake Bunyonyi and then to the Queen Elisabeth National Park (lions and elephants)

Hope you are all well

Lots of love

Si

Alex and Innocent having a rest!

 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.