Existing Member?

Uganda

Weekend at the Zoo

UGANDA | Wednesday, 16 January 2013 | Views [582] | Comments [2]

Zoo bandas

Zoo bandas

 

Hello

We are back from our adventures at the zoo! We ha a fun weekend staying amongst all the animlas and even got to naming a few (below is a picture of brian the otter who lived with Sheila, next to the shoe bill, eric!). It was an exciting place to stay apart form the 15 minute walk in the pitch black through the zoo to reach our bandas on a saturday night after seeign a local Jazz band!

 

We ae sort of getting in to the swing of things with work, although we are both still not quite sure what we are meant to be doing but we are going to the Jungle at 4am on saturday morning so very exciting! We will be living in a tent in Bwindi impentetrable forest for the next couple of months which is suposed to be the most beautiful area in Uganda so we are looking forward to it. Hopefully the beautiful sceanary ad seeing the gorillas will make up for shitting in a bucket for 2 months.....

We are going by local bus which takes 10 hrs which should be interesting and will be getting our trekking permits hopefully to see the gorillas in teh next month. We will also be visiting Queen Elizabeth National park as part of my work (to look at their Telecentre) and the local communities as art of simns (think I will be his glorified PA for a few days!). 

We hope to keep the blog up to date whilst we are there but they currently have no internet or water so who knows!

 

Lots of love  Helen xxx

 

Hi again,

 

You must be loving this blogging business by now! Never even looked at one before starting this one but it's quite fun really. Sitting in Entebbe (lovely calm town on the edge of Lake Victoria), drinking a Nile Special (Beer) and thinking about our past week.

Zoo was fun, staying in a conical house surrounded by bugs and animals, listening to the lions roaring (normally at about 8pm), walking to work through the zoo before its open, being chased by rogue, blue testicled monkeys!

Work is getting a bit more settled. The public health officer who told me there was no current public health programmes working at the moment has now left, leaving lots of oportunities for me to pick up! Sat in a meeting for 2 hours today helping to plan Uganda's response to various outbreak diseases.

Have had my nutrition assessment of the Bwindi community approved so will be planning to walk around the communities in and around the park (with Helen is she's avilable) doing a nutrition and communicable diseases assessment of the population.

Anyway, that's enough talk about work, looking forwards to heading into the jungle and getting back to basics, sounds like its very basic at the moment! 

Hope you are all well

Lots of Love............Si

 

 

 

Comments

1

Wow sounds great dudes! I'm sitting in bed at 8pm with a pizza and glass of wine, not so glam. Keep us up to date xxx

  Kath Jan 18, 2013 6:56 AM

2

Any blog with pictures of monkeys is cool I think. Sounds super cool - have been sharing your story with my own three little monkeys - so keep the pictures coming! take care love hx

  Brian aka Han Jan 18, 2013 8:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.