Existing Member?

The Forging Ear

Delhi Departure: Sweeping up the dust

INDIA | Friday, 29 September 2006 | Views [820] | Comments [1]

This might be the last entry written on the road. The last few weeks of our trip have tumbled past in a haze of sight-seeing (Agra and the Taj, Delhi's Red Fort), relaxing in Rishikesh watching the Ganga turn emerald green (It finally looked healthy enough to dip our toes in!), and now we're a few days into our Delhi shopping extravaganza. Delhi this time around is a magical city, full of serendipity, good food, good people and most important of all: good records. We may make back some of the money we overspent...all thanks to the genious of Bollywood!

I'll leave some stories for our return and the coming reunion in London, where I hear we'll be eating some bacon and eggs ice cream at some experimental science gallery and listening to free gamelan music. Oh, and most importantly, eating japanese food! To all of you Tokyoites we won't be seeing for a little while, I promise to call as soon as we get settled in Toronto.

India began as Brandon's thing but somewhere along the way I got wooed into forgetting my homesickness and fell in love with the dirt, the chaos, the high-pitched wails of Lata Mangeshkar on Bollywood soundtracks, the Slice mango soda--yum!-- and even the ass-grabbing (well, learned to laugh it off after cursing the culprit anyway). India has balanced out the Japanese part of our psyches, has loosened our neckties and taught us that chaos is the brine in which all of the loose strands of our lives suspend--fluid, synchronized, and beautiful. India was a lesson well learned. On with the show!

Naomi

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

Maybe the Taj Mahal is a symbol of India with its symetry, intricacy, organic fluidity, and romance. In the picture it's piercingly beautiful. The poverty and dirt and ass grabing aren't represented, but somehow they seem to be lurking out of sight.

  Mom H. Sep 30, 2006 4:04 PM

About smelt_and_gizzard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.