Existing Member?

La Vie en Roam

Ay, Currumbin!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 27 July 2009 | Views [3038]

After a beautiful morning drive up the Gold Coast, we really didn't think our day could get much better. But as we pulled up the the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, located only a few short blocks from the beaches, we knew that we were in for a "wild" experience.

As we walked in, through the lorikeet feeding arena, there were no traces of a typical zoo. Surrounded by lush greenery and shaded paths, we set out on our first Australian animal encounter. The Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is a not for profit organization that only houses wildlife native to Australia - we couldn't wait to see the koalas!

As part of their public education program, the sanctuary hosts aboriginal history chats, which we stopped by first. We sat in with a local school group to learn about aboriginal music, tools and way of life - all topped off with a digiridoo performance!

Next, we headed over to...the koalas! We got up close and personal with the sleepy, but cuddly creatures that we have been so keen to hold. As Americans, it was a true Aussie experience, one that ended in Kirsten with her hands filled with a special "gift" from the koala she had been cuddling.

While walking through the park with Ken and getting the insider's look at the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, we checked out the kangaroos, crocs, reptiles and bird aviary. However, the most exciting animal of all was just around the corner...the Flying Fox!

Currumbin had just added The Green Challenge, a high ropes adventure course winding through the park. We suited up, climbed up and maneuvered our way across rope bridges, swinging towers, and shaky ladders. The Green Challenge ends up at the giant zipline The Flying Fox that propels you over the croc and kangaroo exhibits. Luckily, our harnesses did their jobs and we did not end up hanging out in the croc pen too! What a rush!

After we reluctantly came down from the ropes course, we jumped back in Geoff to get to Brisbane for the night. Can't wait to see if the rumors are true about BUNK!

Tags: australia, currumbin wildlife sanctuary, gold coast, road trip, travel, van-tastic adventures

About smarkas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.