Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

Wildlife and wine ......

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [126]

Warning - this is a pretty boring entry - all I talk about is Seals

As you would have gathered from the last post we have just spent a couple of nights on Kangaroo Island.  We were firstly a bit sceptical as to whether it will be any good, seemed to be a pretty big tourist trap with a fairly expensive ferry crossing (tip for you, I saved $150 by finding their special offers which were hidden away!).  Our first day we headed over to the other end of the island, which to view another light house.  This one was quite interesting as you got the sense of how much in the middle of nowhere it was - there was a museum that talked about how all the lighthouse keepers went mad because they would see no one and the only way for supplies was via the sea.

After burning over to the lighthouse the way back was rather a bit more hectic.  Anyone that knows both Helen and I will know that our mind works over time and especially when there is some form of worrying to be had.  So when at around 110km p/h some Wallaby's jumped out on us I thought that we were guaranteed to write the car off.  It happened two more times, although the second time I was crawling at around 50km p/h, something which I find very painful at the best of times.

So we camped over night, where a Wallaby wanted a bit of my orange juice (see pics from the other day) and in the morning we saw a wild Koala up a tree and some more blooming wallaby's trying their luck.

The day was spent looking round Admirals Arch, Remarkable rocks and Seals bay.  As you can imagine there were tons of seals, however at Admirals Arch there was a bit of an invasion going on with Nz Fur Seals occupying the rocks.  All I could think about for some reason was what would happen if the NZ fur seals had a fight with the Australian Seals, who would win?  Interesting thought, but in all honesty I reckon they would be too lazy to have a fight as they seemed to just lay around doing nothing all day - well that is what I thought.  Apparently they head out around 3 days at a time, leaving their pups to fend for themselves and because where they hunt the Great White Shark hangs around they pretty much stay up for those 3 days to make sure they do not get killed.  What is quite funny is the pup wanders around looking for its mum, not really knowing whether its mum is on the beach or not.  When the pup gets hungry it tends to wander up to other mothers who are not best please with then trying to essentially get a free breast feed and therefore pretty much get into a fight!  Anyway enough on seals!

Our last night on KI was a bit less interesting, parking up near the ferry terminal for an early start this morning.  Once again the camping environment let me down with the Origin game, although I eventually found out they were showing the game with a 2 hour delay in the pub, all pretty much because they do not like Rugby League in SA.  Instead they had a repeat of CSI, which according to Helen was about 5 years old, and as you can imagine I was pretty hacked off.  I mean why the hell can they just not grow up and play some live sport. I mean I much prefer league, much better then watching a bunch of men playing catch on an oval ring. 

Anyway in the morning I was quite happy to hear the NSW won and that the final game for the first time I have been on these shores will actually mean something.  I am sure it will be a bit of an anti climax and NSW will get thrashed, but here's hoping I guess.  I will probably be around WA by then, which I can imagine will be showing repeats of one man and his dog!

Turning my attention back to the trip rather than ranting - we started the day with a rather unpleasant ferry journey back to the main land.  How I was not sick I do not know (although to date I have never been sea sick).  It was rough and I felt a little dodgy from the very start.  What really made me worry was that everyone else around me (incl Helen) looked alright.  It was like we was on the Thames or some other calm river.  Helen kindly wanted me to get her a coffee - that was a mission in its own right - I had to travel 10 meters, I managed it in little instalments grabbing the back of peoples chairs (and probably heads) whilst I tried not to be sick, fall over and chuck my  coffee over one of the big truckers!  Anyway after we docked I felt a bit better, although my head was swaying still and probably continued for about another 100km's.

The day was spent heading to Victor Harbour to see the tram which is pulled to an island by a Shire Horse (poor thing - honestly it was a 10 minute walk and people walking were overtaking the tram), a trip to McLaren Vale, where we purchased a few Vale Ales and some wine from Hardy's, German lunch in Harndorff, visit and purchase of 1kg (Helen not me) of Chocolate at the Melba factory and then more tasting in Barossa where we have camped for the night.

Heading off to Clare Valley tomorrow and Flinders Ranges for a couple of nights.  Looking forward to the Flinders, Wilpena pound looks awesome and there seems to be some cool pubs and Talc Alf to go and visit - should be a good few days

Steve & Helen

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.