Existing Member?

Treks Within Reflection – Pausing in the "Here and Now" Adventures

HEADING FOR YELLOWSTONE

USA | Saturday, 7 July 2012 | Views [389]

Hi Ya All ~

What an adventure Indiana has been! Weather has been absolutely wild and excruciatingly HOT ~ in the high 90's and 100's ~ making for bad, bad, bad sleeping and lots and lots and lots of pouring sweat. We sought daily relief in the "War Memorial Coliseum" in Fort Wayne, Indiana and we ever-so-Grateful for the air conditioning.

Okay, now the "adventure" part ~ have you all heard about the freak storms popping up throughout the mid-west and east? Well, Indiana had 2 in less than a week, and whereas we skirted the first (though we've seen tremendous tree damage), the 2nd storm popped up through our campground... First of all, we're fine, the bikes and tent campers are fine, though some of our things in the tent campers got soaked (but has mostly dried out due to the excessive heat). Some in our campground lost their tent campers and tents as high winds raced through (some said as high as 85 mph), a few trees fell (one on top of an RV), electric poles snapped, and peoples' "stuff" were scattered all over the campground. 

We were actually in a restaurant when the storm blew through and arrived the campground as soon as it stopped the furious downpour. Everyone was in a daze, and we had to move the tent trailers as water was pouring from a nearby drain and the trailers were standing in about 6" of water. Just after we moved everything to higher ground, we were told to head for the shelter (bathhouse) as another high wind storm was headed our way. Men and women alike were crammed in the women's side, we were all soaked as the rain was still falling, and we stood around, people telling stories about what they saw and experienced. Shortly after, the "all clear" signal arrived and we made our way to assist in any possible way and to check on others we had met... What a mess ~ tree branches down everywhere, camping gear soaked, but most of us Grateful we only had "drying out" to do.

The Gold Wing rally was a hoot ~ looked like a "senior citizen" convention! And trikes are extremely popular with this older group. I'll try to post some of the "art pieces" that have been painted on some, but it may be a while before access to wi-fi again.

Which by the way, we didn't have access to wi-fi in Ft. Wayne because there are still phone lines down from the 1st storm, and some restaurants didn't even open until the day we had arrived...

We're heading to Yellowstone now ~ approximately 1500 miles to travel, and then we'll have about a week there. Will try to post as soon as possible after we arrive.

So for now, all is well, the weather is supposed to cool down somewhat, and the road awaits us! Signing off from a windy Hobart (near Chicago), and a gentle hug of Namaste.

About sisocrates_musing


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.