Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 21 September 2009 | Views [625]

left Bermagui in fine southerly winds after leaving Sam to fly home. Ahead of us 150 miles with just Mick and I.  Sitting about 3 miles off the coast to avoid the southerly running current we had a good look at the beautiful scenery.  Mick new the name of nearly every surf break along the way.  Dolphins played in the bow wave for a few hours before a pod of wales came near the boat.  Without warning one of the larger wales breached right out of the water and fell onto its back.  It was like being in a 'national geographic' documentary. Along the way we relaxed and ate well in readiness for the alternating two and a half hour watches through the night.

As night fell we took down the mainsail as the breeze was now around 25 knots from directly behind.  Better to loose a knot in boat speed than have the boom gybe when you are on watch by yourself. The night was uneventful, just very dark with lots of shipping. every time i would go 'off watch' I would collapse into a deep sleep only to be awoken for my next watch all too soon.

Mid morning we entered Sydney Heads and headed to Middle Harbour.  We had to wait about half an hour for the Spit Bridge was raised to let us through.  We picked up a mooring in Cammeray Marina.  It is amazing just how pretty the area is.  Trees down to the water and houses perched on the sides of the cliffs.  makes you feel like Melbourne is a country town.  I will hang around in Sydney for a couple of weeks and explore the Harbour and Pittwater before continuing up the coast.

Within a couple of hours I was on a plane home, back to reality.  I will return in a week or two to continue exploring.

 

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.