Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Hastings to Eden - The Bass Strait Leg

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 18 September 2009 | Views [1479]

This passage took Mick, Sam and I 50 hours. Once my daughter Lilly and Kevin had waved us off we got sailing.  The first day we saw blue skies with a calm 15 knots from the west.  This day was very enjoyable however it fooled us all as all hell broke loose on our second night out. Bass Strait was angry with winds starting to increase at about 9.00pm and quickly reached gale force.  By 3.00am we had constant 35 knots with gusts of up to 50.  To add to our challenges we were immersed in pitch dark with large swells with foaming seas.  At its peak Mick and I pulled down all sails and hand steered through the night as the auto pilot kept slipping. Due to the conditions we decided to cut between the many oil rigs instead of going around them.  In the loneliness and solitude it was comforting to know there are people out there.  Visually the oil rigs looked like huge lit-up transformers. At 9.00am without any sleep we rounded Gabo Island and finally found some relief sheltered from the worst of the weather.  

At this stage we were happy that the winds decreased to 35 knots and we were greeted by a pod of whales frolicking around the boat.  By mid-day we picked up a mooring at Eden after being unable to tie to the jetty due to the swell.  

Had a well needed feed of bacon and eggs and then caught up on some well needed sleep before taking the dingy ashore for a hot shower and pub meal at 'The Fisherman's Club'.

Clear skies and a great forecast for the morning as we head off towards our destination, Sydney.

Hugh and Mick

As the lay person and being my first ocean crossing the last 50 hours have been quite an experience.  I did spend a fair bit of time heaving over the edge of 'Silver Lady' helped along by a family packet of 'minties'however it added to the adventure.  The first fifteen minutes of my first ever night watch was a little disconcerting but in time standing alone in the pitch dark observing the chart plotter and spotting for identified ships was empowering for this girl often referred to as being a 'princess'!  Nausea aside, looking back the challenges and stresses of the trip was rather exciting and made me remember the importance of getting out and really living life and not getting stuck in a day to day mundane routine.  The most exciting part of the journey for me was the pod of dolphins under the stars lit up by the phosphorescence racing, darting, jumping and frolicking around the boat for over an hour.  Within nature it was the most beautiful and amazing sight I have ever.

Finishing off this part of the trip sitting on deck in a bean bag under a doona in the sun reading wrapped it up perfectly.  Following was a hot shower; the best shower ever!!  

Sam

Tags: bass strait.

 

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.