Existing Member?

Leaving on a jet plane . . .

From Bali to Borneo

MALAYSIA | Monday, 30 March 2009 | Views [3150]

Greetings from Semporna,Malaysian Borneo.

    I'll start by going back to Bali.  I met up with Lauren again in the Denpasar (Bali) airport and we shared a taxi to Kuta with a British guy named Nick.  We spent about an hour wandering around looking for a cheap place to stay before we finally found a beautiful hotel with a swimming pool and veranda overlooking a garden for less than $8 a night.  We spent a few days in Kuta decompressing and ran into Alisa, whom we'd met in Laos.  We also met up with Caroline and Ramona (the Swedish girls) again.  I surfed a bit and Caroline, Ramona, and Lauren gave it a try.  The surf wasn't that great though and I was not disappointed to head to the Gili Islands.  We were joined by Alisa.

    Many other travelers have recommended the Gilis, three small islands off the west coast of Lombok, and one went so far as to say it was the most beautiful beach he'd ever seen.  They weren't exaggerating.  We stayed on Gili Trawangan, the backpacker island, and it was fantastic.  So much so that we spent our longest stint of the trip on this island (a whopping 6 full nights).  The view from the beach is breathtaking with crystal blue waters meeting the deeper blue hue of the open ocean with the green mountains of Lombok clearly visible in the background.  There are no dogs or motorized vehicles on the island.  Only cats, pony-drawn carriages, and bicycles.  My only complaint was that the coral was all dead, shattered into smithereens by dynamite fishing.  The damage was so extensive that it's hard not to contemplate the future while snorkeling, diving, or swimming here.  So I only went on one dive while there.  The rest of the time was spent exploring the island, hiking to the fantastic sunset spot, and relaxing on the beach.  We ran into Nick again and we all spent St. Paddy's day at the only Irish bar on the island and it was far from disappointing.  But it was time to move on and we headed to Nusa Lembongan next, splitting from Alisa as she headed to Kimodo Island.

    Nusa Lembongan is another beautiful island and is off the east of Bali.  We were only there for two nights, and spent it exploring, relaxing and diving.  We went on two dives that were far better than the one in the Gilis (see the pics).  The current on the second dive exceeded 4 knots and we were flying past fish and coral, dodging the occasional outcrop.  It was fun.  We were running short on our time in Bali though so we left for Ubud.

    Ubud is a quaint little mountain town in the heart of Bali and is known for its eclectic community of artists.  The town has the feel of old-school hippie mixed with new-age art, not unlike Austin or Breckenridge.  The air was a bit cooler, which we welcomed with relief.  We visited the Sacred Monkey Forest where I was harassed by long-tailed macaques overly interested in my flowy green dress.  I had to play tug of war with several of the cheeky primates to keep myself fully dressed.  The Sacred Monkey Forest is as the name suggests and Hindus flock to the temples here to worship.  We also checked out the local crafts market, which was amazing and cheap.  If I ever buy a house, I'm coming back here to furnish it!  Next we took a downhill bike tour of the area and learned about Balinese culture, sampled cervid poo (yes, poo of the fecal sort) coffee, and had a delicious traditional Balinese feast.  Our guide, Dharma, was amazing and we learned, among other things, that it is the men's job to lovingly wrap the placenta of his child and bury it under a rock in a designated garden of the compound.  A compound is a traditional way of living which consists of several households of male relatives living within the same walls.  It was really interesting and we learned a lot.

    After our bike tour, we were dropped off back in Kuta where we said our final goodbyes to the Swedish girls on their last night, ran into Nick again (who had left the Gilis for Jakarta days ago and had already returned and was now booked on the same flight as us to KL), met up with Alisa one last time, stocked up on supplies, and took advantage of the cheap internet before heading to Borneo via Kuala Lumpur two days later.

    Okay, even many travelers don't understand where or what Borneo is, so let me explain.  Borneo itself is an island composed of parts of Indonesia and Malaysia and the entire (tiny) country of Brunei.  So it's one island, 3 countries.  It is east of peninsular Malaysia and Thailand and north of Java, Indonesia.  It's also where some of the best diving in the world is found.  By far the most popular and fabled dive sight in Borneo is Sipidan Island, which is where we were heading.  Sipidan is now protected and you can no longer stay on the island and you need a permit to enter the waters nearby, so there is a wait list for diving here.  However, we had booked 3 dives ahead of time and there are a few dive companies who have cheap accommodation on the nearby island of Mabul, with daily excursions to Sipidan and other dive sites around Mabul.  We stayed at a place called Uncle Chang's.  Unfortunately, I had caught a cold in Nusa Lembongan and was still recovering so I spent two days on Mabul before attempting to dive.  Lauren suffered the same predicament, but she was in an earlier stage of her cold, so she decided to stay in Semporna (the dirty, boring town that is the gateway to Sipidan and Mabul, but has better supplies) one more night.

    Uncle Chang's is a small conglomeration of wooden buildings on stilts with a main deck serving as a common/dining area.  I spent the first two days relaxing in the deck chairs, on the nearby beach, and snorkeling.  It was relaxing and just what I needed, but there really is nothing to do there unless you want to snorkel or dive.  It's not a great beach.  Anyway, the much anticipated day of the Sipidan dives finally arrived and I was very excited, having looked forward to these dives since early in our trip.  I grabbed my camera and, although the indicator light on the battery charger had gone out, I was hopeful that my battery had charged.  The first dive was a disaster.  Despite my taking two full days to recover on Mabul and having taken decongestants, I could not clear my ears and experienced vertigo underwater while simultaneously discovering that my camera battery had not charged and my camera was now dead.  At the end of the dive, I could no longer hear out of my left ear, except for a faint ringing that was to become louder over the next few days.  We disembarked on Sipidan island for some tea and I discovered that I had no balance and was walking like a drunken sailor, completely disoriented.  So, in the end I decided to snorkel for the remaining two dives.  It was absolutely amazing still and I really wish I had pictures to show you!  We saw several sharks, so many turtles they became boring after a while, barracuda, bat fish, huge Napoleon Wrasse, tons of unicorn fish, and lots of other goodies.

    The next day, Lauren was able to fill in for me on my 3 nonrefundable dives in Mabul, since she hadn't yet booked any dives, so that was a bit of a relief.  I'm still a little bummed that I only got to do 1 of 6 dives.  It didn't help that the resident cat decided to mark my sarong and small backpack as its territory, or that my camera had died with its lens fully extended and open and will remain that way until I can track down a new charger, or that my big backpack was the only one to get soaked on the way back to Semporna, or even that the clinic wasn't open when we arrived and we'd have to stay another day,
but the snorkelling alone was worth it.  And I guess I have another excuse to come back.  So I went to the doctor today and he wasn't much help.  I made a better diagnosis online.  It appears I have inner ear barotrauma.  Basically, I've damaged my ear because of the pressure caused by diving with a cold.  The doctor simply said "It looks red and there may be some sand in there.  Don't dive until the ringing stops.  Here are some drops."  Well.  At least it only cost me 25 Malaysian Ringitt to find that out (less than $7).  So I'll go on with my journey and wait for the ringing to stop and for my balance to return.  Tomorrow we head to Sepilok where we'll go on a jungle trek and visit an Orangutan sanctuary!  I'm excited about that, particularly since it doesn't involve any pressure changes :-)

    I've finally managed to put up my Burma photos, so here is the link for those:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2704676&id=8369089&l=136a6c9451

    And the (3) links for Indonesia are:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2703830&id=8369089&l=abd17b7b6e

AND
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2704777&id=8369089&l=2605e7dfc3

AND

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2704804&id=8369089&l=9c39645abe




I hope you are all doing well. 

Sierra

About sierrayla-1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.