Existing Member?

Leaving on a jet plane . . .

Travelling can be odd . . .

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 9 December 2008 | Views [487] | Comments [1]

Bokor National Park

Bokor National Park

Greetings,
   I write this from Rach Gia, Vietnam where I am waiting to catch a ferry to Phu Quoc island where we'll spend a few days diving and frolicking on the beach and in the water.
    In Sihanoukville, we attempted to take a tour of the local brewery, but were informed that it would not be allowing people in that day, so we caught motorbikes back to our beach.  Unfortunately, my driver had no idea where we were going and didn't speak English.  Luckily, there was a Canadian heading to the same beach who's driver was also lost on the way back from the brewery.  We finally gave up on our motorbike drivers and hired a tuk tuk driver, who knew where he was going.  It was a fun little adventure.
    Also while in Sihanoukville, we were joined by Karen, Lauren's friend from the states, who will be travelling with us for a week or so before heading home.  We also met two Welsh guys who were great company and came with us to Kampot - gateway to Bokor National Park.  We left Sihanoukville two days ago for Kampot, where we got a day tour of the Park, which included 1920s "ruins," a waterfall and a few short hikes, as well as a one-hour boat ride down the calm river. 
    It's hard to describe what it's been like so far. The beach was relaxing and fun.  It occurs to me that you see some very odd things in this area that people at home would drop their mouths at, but people here continue about their business as if everything is normal.  As travelers, we learn to follow suit.  Here are a few of the events where this applies:
 
1) Two children about 5 yrs. old playing in the sea with a large black garbage bag (the kind we use for lawn and leaf trimings). The first child gets into the bag, while the second shuts the bag (not sealed though) and rolls the first child around in the water.
2) A man wearing underwear on his head.  Cambodians generally travel by motorbike and because of the dust, they often wear scarves or surgical masks to keep the dust out of their lungs.  We saw one man using a pair of elastic underwear. Makes sense - two elastic seals with a breathing hole on the side.
3) A dog at the beach foaming at the mouth, squeeling, and biting at itself (don't worry, we kept our distance).
4) People everywhere here wear pajamas around town at all hours of the day (the full-body cotton ones with matching tops and bottoms).
5) Our driver driving from the middle seat of our taxi, while a passenger sat in the driver's seat (we're still not sure how he could reach the pedals)
6) When we went to Bokor National Park for the day yesterday, we asked our guide if there were any tigers, to which he replied, "yes, yes.  We have one 3-legged tiger." "Wow," we said, "Any 4-legged tigers?"  He replied, "Oh no, no.  Only the one with 3 legs." 
  Anyway, that pretty much sums up the experience so far. Hope you are all doing well.

Comments

1

WoW S.E. Aisa huh? That rocks! Its gonna be a GREAT adventure from what I have heard from a friend of mine. I hope to see lots of pics. ENJOY and be safe.
send me a line when ya go the time lata and happy holidays if I don't talk to ya.

  Robert Marcelina Dec 16, 2008 8:16 AM

About sierrayla-1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.