Existing Member?

Quirky or Awkward?

Karijini and its wonders

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 12 January 2013 | Views [1897]

Beautiful Karijini National Park

Beautiful Karijini National Park

Recently, over the festive season, my Mother and I went road tripping around the Pilbara. The Pilbara is located in Western Australia in the top-west section (AKA the Great Sandy Desert). As you can imagine, there is a LOT of red dirt EVERYWHERE! We drove for hours and saw the landscape change slightly with every bend (which was a rare occasion for the roads are so long and straight). Along our travels we saw some amazing rocks that would just balance on top of one another, and some animals (dead and alive). Once my bottom had gone completely numb from driving so long, we arrived at Karajini National Park. It was AMAZING! A glorious amount of walks and hikes you could venture on, rock walls, swimming holes, crocodiles and snakes, mountains and ditches. It was superb. Being on a tight schedule (and travelling in my little Hyundai Getz that had run out of fuel so we were pressed for time to reach the nearest service station that was a 1 hour drive from that National Park) we took some cheese and crackers and climbed down the cliff face. At the bottom of this mini hike was a gorge (refer to photo). We were not the only ones that though a nice swim on Christmas day would be superb. Diving fully clothed into the cool water was so refreshing and the surroundings were just a treat to the eye. If you ever head up/down to the Pilbara, make sure you take the time to visit the Karijini National Park (and take a jiffy can of fuel with you). You will not regret it!

p.s. Unfortunately, my camera was destroyed by some native Aboriginals near where I live so I have been using a cheap cannon digital camera until I can afford a new one. Because of this, I did not realise there was a date stamp on my photos until I downloaded them.

 

Here are some photos:

Stunning Gorge

 

Australia in its glory

I took this photo of my Mother VERY hastily for I desperately wanted to jump in the cool water for it was a 40 degrees c day.

 

How do rocks even end up like this?

Tags: karijini national park, pilbara, trekking, western australia

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.