Existing Member?

Fate and Flight Schedules

Passengers on a jet plane

NEPAL | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [234] | Scholarship Entry

The third round of microwave safe disposable containers with some sort of consumable grub made their way to our trays, with the lazy plane grumbling and flying in circles over stubborn storm clouds in New York City. Apparently, it takes a lot of effort to cry. When the clouds finally ended up crying and dying, we had missed our next flight. Fortunately, to the happiness of my thirteen year old heart, the only cafe within the airport open at midnight was Dunkin' Donuts. After donuts, coffee and cots, I learned that two things in life are unpredictable: fate and flight schedules. Yet, it's all good in the end.
When the next jet finally took off, I watched the carefully plotted grid of the city grow smaller and smaller. Distance was increasing between me and seven years of my childhood as we crossed the Atlantic Ocean to get to the place we called home. We didn't have to leave, of course, but it was all a part of the "big picture" of life, the picture that requires us to merge ties with our roots and ultimately form a harmonious painting. It seems absurd to paint a Yeti chilling on the West Coast. For this reason, we decided to go back to the place where the Yeti belonged, the land of the Himalayas. As a child who had just experienced the seven most amazing years of carefree bliss, I didn't have a problem staying on the beach. I had already grown accustomed to its warm sand and cool waves. Still, parents always seem to know better. Somehow, my parents were afraid that as Yetis, we would melt in the sun to form a puddle of water that would vaporize and be gone forever. To cut a long story short, we were on a jet.
Two days and two transit stops later, we were hovering over a lush green valley encircling a basin filled with popcorn. As we got closer, I was able to see that the popcorn was actually a part of urbanization gone wild, almost like Legos scattered all over the bedroom floor. This was where we Yetis lived. I embraced the change from the first world to the third world, the land where I had come into existence. It just so happens that we are all passengers abroad an unpredictable jet plane, letting each destination shape and control the person we ultimately become.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shraddha


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.