Existing Member?

Walkabout

Guilin

CHINA | Tuesday, 1 September 2009 | Views [263] | Comments [1]

Guilin is quite a nice city, much slower pace than Guangzhou or Hong Kong; almost relaxing, except for the hassle from touts.  I deal with them with a subtle combination of relentless politeness and monstrous stupidity.  Or occasionally I just tell them to fuck off.

The scenery even from the middle of the city is pretty good.  Would be amazing without the pollution. Guilin has a population of about 750,000 according to LP, so you wouldn't think it would be too bad - but you can see the result in the picture gallery.  You can barely see the karsts in the mid-distance, they just start to fade out.  Bit of a shame really, but there your go.  Supposed to be better on the way to and in Yangshou.

Couple more pictures in the Guilin photo gallery.

Off to Yangshou tomorrow; on a boat down the Li River - should be fun and the scenery is supposed to be jaw dropping, hoefully with less smog. 

Comments

1

"relentless politeness" ???? Who are you, and what have you done with Shorn?

Awesome pics mate, keep 'em coming.

  Greeny Sep 6, 2009 7:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.