Existing Member?

A Journey from the Madhouse to the Asylum

Christmas On The Beach

INDIA | Monday, 8 December 2008 | Views [484] | Comments [6]

Well Diwali was really dissappointing, we stayed out till late and just saw and heard a few firecrackers, the men for burning were all lined up along the road (they are about 10ft tall) when we went back to the hotel about 11.30 so we assumed that they would be burning them the next evening, but no, they burnt them at 4 o'clock in the morning (makes sense uh!).

We have finally escaped Goa and both had a very very relaxing 8 weeks.  The new pool was beautiful and we both topped up our tans, I am starting to look like a local!

We took the overnight train to Cochin in Kerala.  The journey took about 16 hours, and we were both pretty comfortable in our sleeper berth.  Unfortunately when we booked the tickets we could not get 2 beds together, so the conductor robbed Andy of 500 rupees to move us (considering the tickets only cost just over 1000 rupees each this was a bit steep!)  Just one other problem with the journey, I fell out of the top bunk, when I got up to go to the loo in the morning and woke Andy and lots of other people up with a bang!

We spent one day and night in Cochin, which was very pleasant. The chinese fishing nets are amazing (do have pics), we also did a tour in a rickshaw which was fun.

Next day, we decided to go to Alleppy (not sure if spelling is right), with the intention of saying overnight and doing a back water tour to Kollam.  When we arrived at the station Andy left me there with the luggage to look for a hotel, but they were all grotty or mega expensive.  So we made a quick decision to get the train to Kollam (about 80 km on)instead and get the bus to Varkala the next day.  However when we got on the train we asked a man if we were in the right carriage of the train and he said no, but that we could pay extra to the conductor.  He then asked us where we going and when we told him he said that the train we were on stopped at Varkala (another 20 or so KMs) and again we could see the conductor and pay the extra.  Well seemed like a good plan and meant that we would not have to spend a night somewhere we hadn't planned to.  However, the conductor did not come round before we reached the stop we had paid for.  We did not know what to do, so in the end we pretended to be asleep at the station and stayed on!!.  We were both a bit nervous about staying on but figured that it was worth paying the fine if we had to.  Anyways about 20 minutes later Andy said, oh we are here BUT THE TRAIN DID NOT STOP, it sailed right through the station!!.  So once again we had a quick change of plan and decided to stay on to Trivundrum.  Fortunately the conductor never came into our carriage, and it is not like at home where you have to show your ticket at the barrier.  So we are now fare dodgers!!

Well you would think that we had had enough excitement for one day, but no there's more!  We arrived in the evening of 2nd December about 6.30 and it was already dark.  We knew that there are loads of hotels In trivandrum so did not think for a minute that we would have a problem in finding one for the night.  Unfortuntely between the 1st and 5th December there was an all India TUC conference in Trivandrum and all the hotels were full of delegates!!.  After about 1 and half hours we did find one that had 1 room available, which was actually quite nice.

The next day we caught a bus to Kovalam and checked into a what looked like a nice wooden hut in the middle of a large garden on the outskirts of the town for 4 nights.  BUT when we came back from dinner in town, we had too many uninvited guests in our hut, creepy crawlies, spiders, ants and the biggest croakroach I ever seen.  We had to stay anyway as it was too late and too dark to start looking for another hotel, but needless to say we checked out again the next morning!!.

Now staying in a really really nice pretend log cabin, 50 yards from the beach and we are here until Friday of this week.  We are then moving to Varkala and have booked a really nice small hotel on the cliff for 24 nights which will take us through the christmas and new year period.  Varkala is beautiful, we spent the day there Thursday to have a look for a good hotel for Christmas.  Whilst we were there we had lunch on the cliff top and saw about 8 dolphins in about 1 hour!.  Oh and on the way back I missed my step trying to fight my way off the train, through the hundreds of people trying to pile on and fell on to the platform, no damage to my body, just my pride, but at least it gave the locals a laugh!!.

Anyways that's all for now, hope everyone is well, not working too hard and enjoying the weather and the Christmas shopping.

Take care

Shirley and Andy  

Comments

1

Hello my lovelies...Sounds like you are both having a ball...are you sure you weren't drunk again shirl when you fell off the train...you are a plonker...lol....Xmas in a lovely hotel..over looking the cliffs...sun beating down on you...sounds wonderful...wish i was there too.....anywhere would be better than here.

I am nearly ready for xmas..just got 3 more prezzies to get and thats me done....Anthony is just having xmas day with us...well a few hours,then he is off....i don't know what we are going to do boxing day..not even thought about it.

On boxing day...have a nice glass of wine and make a toast to us will you...and i will do the same....missing you loads...have a fantastic xmas....love you both.

Juli and kiddies xxxxxxxxx

  juli Dec 19, 2008 12:13 AM

2

Hello my lovelies...Sounds like you are both having a ball...are you sure you weren't drunk again shirl when you fell off the train...you are a plonker...lol....Xmas in a lovely hotel..over looking the cliffs...sun beating down on you...sounds wonderful...wish i was there too.....anywhere would be better than here.

I am nearly ready for xmas..just got 3 more prezzies to get and thats me done....Anthony is just having xmas day with us...well a few hours,then he is off....i don't know what we are going to do boxing day..not even thought about it.

On boxing day...have a nice glass of wine and make a toast to us will you...and i will do the same....missing you loads...have a fantastic xmas....love you both.

Juli and kiddies xxxxxxxxx

  juli Dec 19, 2008 12:13 AM

3

Hope you have a lovely warm and relaxing Christmas - we are not really too jealous, honestly. We will think of you on Christmas day as I am trying to cook the dinner for the family without burning it (maybe I shouldn't start on the wine until after I have finished cooking this year.....)and wading through the washing up. Dave is getting a whole day off this year, Christmas day, and is on late shift for the rest of the week, so you can imagine how pleased he is. We have both had the cough/cold virus that is rife at the moment but apart from that are OK. Dave is off to see Val tomorrow for a Christmas visit - we are keeping her up to date from your blog.

Anyway, take care and carry on having a great time.

  Debbie (and Dave but you know what he is like about computers) Dec 22, 2008 8:00 AM

4

We have sun in Brighton today-boxing day and a beach of sorts-what jealous? me? never!
As you are so far away-the upstairs shower has started leaking -it's that equation again-distance of engineer from problem. However ours is a house of 2 bathrooms so no worries.
We are all well-stuffed full of Christmas food and just off for a walk to make room for more.
Do try and stay upright Shirley-remember you're British...
xxxxx Lynn

  Lynn Dec 27, 2008 1:19 AM

5

Well hello! No Christmas in India eh? It was lovely to see you both. Thanks for visiting. :-)
Hope the travelling back was ok and that you are both back to your relaxing selves.
Will check back again soon!
Much love,
Hannah
xx

  Hannah Jan 17, 2009 9:30 AM

6

Thats spooky I was just thinking the same, however the time I am doing this is on Friday 16th Jan @ 23.43. When In fact Hannah's, message is on Saturday 17th Jan @ 9.20 am. Am I psychic or it this Journals.worldnomads site weird!! Love you and miss you, and I will check back again soon!
Tray x

  Tracey Jan 17, 2009 10:44 AM

About shirandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.