Existing Member?

Takin it easy is SE Asia Fluffing around in Asia but soon need to get to work to continue this life.

Lazy livin on Lake Temengor

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 25 September 2011 | Views [826]

Well this place is just as I had imagined it. I know that most accommodation places in developing countries (and this part of Malaysia is very much rural and developing) are not up to the standard we are used to in Australia. Everything is still very comfortable but you just need to be comfortable with things being a bit rougher around the edges, and to have a different standard of hygiene and cleanliness (and that is something I developed well in Fiji with many visits to remote villages and stays in rural hotels). It is definitely very quiet and relaxing with no pressing load of work.

After counting hornbills and being dropped back at the jetti (how they spell it here) and retrieving my backpack from the Malaysian Nature Society Coordinator’s car boot (luckily with the plastic bottles of gin unbroken) I settled down to wait for the pick up from Belum Eco Resort. As you have reception at Banding Island I luckily turned on my phone and received a text message from the boss of the resort, Steve, saying that I would get picked up at 1pm along with some guests.  

One thing I had not realised is that Friday 16 September was a public holiday in Malaysia making it a long weekend. The resort was almost full with three groups (very multicultural with a group each of Chinese, Indian and Malays) totalling around 40 guests with a bunch of children between about 6 and 16. This made the place practically full and on arrival I was given a small room on an unfinished houseboat until there was space after the weekend.

Steve was quite busy with so many guests so he said we would catch up on Sunday afternoon after they had departed to talk about the work I would do. This suited me as it gave me a chance to rest, after the days bush counting hornbills, with good food, Western toilets (with bidet and bins for the toilet paper used to ‘dry’ yourself as system was not up to handling flushed paper) and tiled shower enclosures with tub of cold water and dribble of hot water.

Come Sunday afternoon I spoke to Steve a bit about the artificial reefs though he seemed keener on setting up a system for feeding hornbills fruit, just to provide a ‘bird experience’ for guests which may encourage their support of conservation. I don’t mind helping with the reefs as a small bit of extra habitat for the fish in this lake is not going to upset anything but I won’t do the encouragement of unnatural foraging behaviour in such a vulnerable species such as hornbills. I will make it clear to Steve that I do not have any expertise when it comes to hornbills and he would be best to find someone who does for any projects in that area. Another thing he is keen on is environmental advice for a proposal he is writing for ecotourism activities in the Royal Belum National Park (the one that is not being logged). Private businesses have been invited to submit proposals for this as it has been recognised that the government is too useless to establish anything that will be sustainable. When it came to asking about expectations for my volunteer work, Steve gave some talk about respecting each other but no clear direction about hours or outcomes. I volunteered to help with any resort domestic duties but was given no instruction and the staff were told that I would be doing ‘internet’ work, not anything physical with them.

Then Steve, his wife Susan and the rest of the casual staff were off and I was left with two young Indian male staff, Sanja and Babu, both of who have very limited English. On the Monday we were joined by two local Orang Isli boys to help with some work. Other residents on the island include two wonderful dogs, only about 18 months old, who are now my almost constant companions. The tan one is called Gordon, after Gordon Brown, and the black one is called Obama, no clues for where that name comes from. There is also a little ginger female cat, who is called Hillary (I think Steve can be a bit political), one black chicken, plenty of butterflies, cicadas, birds and a small troop of long tail Macaque monkeys. The monkeys came down to check out the resort on the Monday morning after everyone had left and I got a photo of one on the deck railing.

Over the next few days we got into a lovely routine of breakfast at 8am (does not really get light until 7am) of white bread, bananas and eggs, while they lasted, or handmade roti and jam, curry for lunch and curry for dinner. Near the end of the week they asked if I could cook food to be ready when they stopped working. I assured them that my only capability was to help as I did not know the ingredients (lots of noodles and unmarked spices in pots), how to cook large amounts of rice by absorption, chop a frozen chicken by cleaver, or deep fry fish in a battered wok on a commercial gas stove.

In between the meals the boys would go off and do some labour such as rake away all the nearby leaves and sweep the paths (obviously to make them look good – but also deny the area you want to be green from the nutrients that would come from the decomposing leaves and expose the bare soil to be washed away with the rain L) and do repairs on the chalets.

My work would consist of sitting at Steve’s laptop, with minimal internet, on the central table in the breezeway of the original houseboat which has a bit of a feel of an old house. With lots of open space for views of the surrounding lake and forested hills and a set of upstairs rooms that I had moved into to sleep. For exercise I try to walk to the end of the chalets and back a few times in the morning and in the evening and the crazy dogs take a run along the path with me. Amazing though how much of an upper body workout doing your washing by hand in a bucket is.

Steve and a couple of investor friends, who are looking at funding a houseboat business, came back on Thursday but only stayed for one night and left. I was woken up on Friday night by Sanja for a call from Steve to say he now would not be back until the following weekend and was I fine until then. The next day I sent him by email a proposal for construction of artificial reefs based on my research and reiterated my desire to access decent internet to upload photos to my travel journal so I could send an update to family and friends.

He was happy with the reef proposal and got the staff to take me this morning (Sunday 25) to a resort on Banding Island and the jetti to access internet and purchase a few groceries. It was nice to be out and the week ahead looks like more curry, maybe a kayak around the island, and some limited research on sport fishing as an ecotourism venture. Once Steve is here on the weekend I will get to see, along with a couple of guests, some of the local sites including a forestry lookout and hopefully a Rafflesia in bloom then we are off to the Royal Belum National Park.

 

About shazbot

Up close and cosy though I was a bit nervous near that big beak.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.