Existing Member?

Shauna Gayle Sharing my life's pleasures with you as I explore this beautiful world.

Nesting in the Mountain

CANADA | Friday, 7 November 2014 | Views [383]

I found the perfect hostel! After trying out two different hostels and poking my head in about 25 different places, I finally found the place that I will call home while in San Cristobal.

Ever heard of 'Work Away'? (workaway.com) Neither have I, until I came here. It is a site that allows for hosts and travellers to exchange labour for accommodation and food, all over the world. As a host, you register what you are offering in detail (where you live, the job you are offering, how many hours is required, and what they are offering as an exchange), which all depends on the hosts discretion. As a 'workawayer', you also make a profile, and can send messages to the hosts to start a dialogue regarding the exchange. If its a fit, off you go. This is how I found this perfect little hostel.

For the next month, I will be volunteering here, in exchange for a comfortable bed and three meals a day. Volunteering includes, reception, light cleaning, helping with cooking, and bar-tending. Not bad...

I also have an opportunity to actually work here. It's a reception gig, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. Again, accommodation and food is included, plus 100 pesos a shift. 100 pesos= less than $10 Canadian dollars.

I know what you are thinking... It's basically slave labour in the western world. But to be honest, I am considering it. Let me tell you why... I will not have to touch my bank account. The chump change that I will be earning will be my spending money. Which just allows me to continue travelling further and longer, which feeds my soul. Also, I will be forced to speak Spanish. I will learn faster than when I try to learn on my own, and at my own comfortable pace. I need this! I see the benefits of this commitment. Of course, I also see the negative. The most important thing to me; is my time and my health. My time is worth A LOT to me back home... The question is how much is it worth to me abroad when the value of the dollar is less. This is the question that I am struggling with. Do I give up my time and freedom for less than $10 a day.

Either way, I will be submerged into the culture of San Cristobal, as well as the sub culture of this hostel world. My spanish will improve regardless, and I will learn something from this experience.

I will keep you updated with the decision that I make.

Tags: mexico, san cristobal, working abroad

About shaunagayle


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.