Existing Member?

My very exciting adventure's

Madame Tussaud's , Lower Manhattan and Scarlett Johanssen

USA | Saturday, 6 April 2013 | Views [412]

I have always wanted to see Madam Tussaud's and now I can cross it off my list of cheesy things to do :) Upon entering the museum you are greeted by Robin Williams with his hand out ready to shake. I just kind of stopped and stared, knowing that he was wax but also expecting him to suddenly move and scare the shit out of me. And so it went on, the place was amazing and so much fun, I asked a couple of guys to take my pic with johnny depp and tried to steal the wax model but security was having none of it.

Next I went out and got on one of the top deck, hop on hop off tour busses. It was so cold up the top I had the scarf, mittens, hat, and jacket thing happening! The tour guide was amazing, very knowledgeable and she imparted information with wit and humour. I was named Australia (can't figure why) and she was New York. Whenever I got on or off the bus I always seemed to get her tour.... "hey Australia, your back again. " 

First stop for me was the Empire State Building, such an elaborate foyer/lobby, I think I have uploaded a picture of it on his site. Up to 86th floor I go, step out onto the observation deck...... Holy shit, realise just how far up in the air I am and how awesome New York is, I can see the Statue of Liberty and it looks tittsy from up here. You get the choice to go to the 86th floor or for $17 extra you can go on up to the 106th floor. I went up to the 106th but to be honest I don't think it was worth the money, the observation deck is an indoor one i had to stand on my tip toes to be able to see over the window sill. The 86th is a much better view, it's outdoors (rug up) and has the viewing telescopes. 

Back to the tour bus "hey Australia" "hey New York" and off we go, Madison Square Garden, Garment district, Flatiron district (that's the big building that if your looking down on it is shaped like an iron, hence the name) , East Village, Lower East Side,  China Town, Little Italy, Battery Park, TriBeCa, Soho, meat packing district. 

If you go to New York expecting it to be a clean place with flowers and rainbows everywhere you will be sadly disappointed. The New Yorkers don't have adequate facilities to store their household rubbish, so the sidewalks are plied high with black plastic garbage bags also keeping in mind that this is just 6 or so months after hurricane Sandy devastated New York and there is still a lot of rebuilding going on.

Racing about the theatre district trying to find a show to watch I realise I had left it a bit late to get into the ones I wanted to see that day so I decided to go "Cat on a hot tin roof" staring Scalett Johanssen. I had a great seat right in the middle about a quarter the way up the stalls. The show was great but I have to admit to falling asleep, maybe it was my big day out or just that the theatre was so warm, how embarrassment !

 

Lobby Empire State Building

Lobby Empire State Building

Tags: empire state building, madam tussaud, new york, soho

About sharonleigh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.