Existing Member?

My very exciting adventure's

Boston

USA | Tuesday, 19 March 2013 | Views [877] | Comments [1]

I'm having breakfast at a wonderful bed and breakfast in Providence with a view of a recent snowfall outside and having just eaten the lightest fluffiest pancakes I have ever had and I am trying my best to recall Boston to tell you about . Those who know me understand the way my memory works (not well)

So maybe I will start with arriving at the airport. All went well, collected luggage and followed the signs outside to the taxi queue. It was huge and looked to go on forever, it was one of lines that you had to keep trying to peek to the front to see if you actually in right line! Once I was satisfied that this was indeed the taxi line I settled into the shuffle shuffle stop, shuffle shuffle stop, routine. There was this guy behind me who clearly to all around was very important and didn't cope well with having to share his time with us mere mortals. I felt embarrassed for him but it was wasted on him, every time someone jumped into a taxi at the front of the queue he would scream "alright let's go, let's go" at the top of his very loud lungs. as I was contemplating butting my fist in his very large mouth a braver and tougher looking dude told him to shut the hell up. i think he actually shit himself and he did shut up for a few minutes! My taxi driver was hilarious, entertaining me all the way to the hotel with his accents.. "No one drinks fosters in Australia " he told me in a very exaggerated Aussie accent..... The accent might have been crap but the statement was spot on. Once settled into my fancy room at the Hilton (thanks to my kind new friends) I kicked back with a glass of vodka and tonic to watch tv and await the arrival of the travel buddy. Her initial flight that day had been cancelled and she was on a later one and expected to arrive around midnightish ( my word and yes if I wrote it, it is a word). Suffice to say the reunion went on till the early hours of the morning and involved us running about in our pj's to all the vending machines looking for something to mix with our vodka. Our checkout time was 1.00 the next day and when we woke at 2.30 there was a bit of a rush to get packed dressed and out of there.

we relocated to our longer term residence for the duration of our Boston stay,  an ok sort of motel practically next to Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox. Unfortunately it's not baseball season so we didn't get to experience Americas favourite pastime.

What I saw of Boston ( and I believe I saw a bit whilst hunting the illusive St Paddys parade ) I loved it... A city not unlike Melbourne to my mind but without the smog. Lots of bars, cafes and mostly friendly people although not as friendly as me apparently after lots of bourbon at Barney Fannings pub.  my time in Boston was actually colder than my time in anchorage, when that wind picks up it is so damn cold even I had to pull on the scarf and mittens.

so all the things I was going to see in Boston ...... Cheers Pub, where everyone knows your name (I think I achieved that at Barney Fannings), Boston tea party (not a damn tea party at all, I am so ignorant about history) and the St Paddys day parade (parade? What parade) may not have been achieved but I still had an amazing time and met some cool peeps, Lori and Dan, Joe the barman and the cute guy who's girlfriend didn't like me trying to drag him over over to meet my travel buddy.

Until next time Boston, I will try so hard to come back

S

Tags: barney fannings, boston, fenway park, red sox, st patricks day

Comments

1

More, more more please

  Sandi Mar 20, 2013 1:02 PM

About sharonleigh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.