Existing Member?

Andy & Shannon's Trip of a Lifetime

Amazon

CHILE | Monday, 28 May 2007 | Views [639] | Comments [2]

The Amazon was really relaxing and HOT! We saw heaps of different animals like, iguanas, sloths, anacondas, snakes, pink dolphins, heaps of birds and caught and ate paranas and cat fish. We stayed in a jungle lodge and did treks through the jungle and got to meet alot of native people and see how they live.

It was a 3 hour boat ride down stream from Iquitos to where we stayed. There was lots of debris in the water like trees and logs. You have to really careful being in a small boat so that you dont hit anything. The reason that there is so much debris is that the banks are made of soft mud and are constantly being undermind so big sections of the river bank are constantly falling into the river so it is becoming wider and wider. The river runs at a constant 4-5 knots all the way through Bolivia and Brazil where it meets the Atlantic ocean.

We went paddling upstream in a typical cannoe which was really hard, you couldnt stop paddling otherwise you would go backwards.

We visited a local distillary that makes jungle rum out of sugar cane and visited the Jungle pub where we had taste testings and bought a bottle.

Our lodge had no electricity so early nights for us.

There were heaps of mosquitos so hopefully our malleria tablets worked, the guide we had said that he had malleria 13 times and didnt seemed to fased about it.

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Can't belive you saw anacondas! I'm so scared of snakes I don't reckon I'd last long there, or manage to get any sleep! Good to hear you guys are both well and having a good time.

Zara x

  Zara Jun 22, 2007 2:06 PM

2

OMG I would love to see a sloth (the animal I would love to become)! I hope your malleria tablets worked too nothing worse than being on the trip of a lifetime and being sick.

You guys in Spain yet?

Hope to hear more soon.

PS my email has changed as I now work at Vodafone (YAY) it's alana.taylor@vodafone.com

  Alana Jul 12, 2007 9:27 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.